Question 4G not working properly.

clamore125

Estimable
Dec 16, 2016
I recently got my mom's Samsung J7 when she got a new phone. It's replacing my broken Straight Talk phone, and I'm using the SIM card from the old phone. Trouble is, when I try to use data, it won't connect to the internet at all at times. The best I've gotten is 3G, which I know the SIM card is supposed to be capable of. I know the SIM card isn't bad, since it worked in my last phone well enough. The J7 is from U.S. Cellular, if that makes any difference. How would I be able to get 4G LTE working again?

It could be a few things. The phone could just not get good service in that area. Even if a prior one did, that doesn't mean this one will. Not all phones get the same connection.

You may want to check the data settings on that phone. Go into "Settings" and then "Mobile networks". Here you want to tap "Network mode" and make sure it is set to "LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)" to enable 4G. If it already is. Then save the change.

Additionally, just because the SIM fits in the new phone and kind of works doesn't actually mean it is the right kind of SIM for that phone.

I would suggest you contact your carrier/service provider (yours, not the one it was on before) and have them send you the correct SIM for that device.

jack645

Commendable
Jun 30, 2017
I recently got my mom's Samsung J7 when she got a new phone. It's replacing my broken Straight Talk phone, and I'm using the SIM card from the old phone. Trouble is, when I try to use data, it won't connect to the internet at all at times. The best I've gotten is 3G, which I know the SIM card is supposed to be capable of. I know the SIM card isn't bad, since it worked in my last phone well enough. The J7 is from U.S. Cellular, if that makes any difference. How would I be able to get 4G LTE working again?
Hi,
Call your network providers' customer service center. They will give you the step by step guide. I had the same issue. I use free govt phones by Assist wireless ( Spam link removed by Moderator.). They solved the issue in 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: