4th Gen Lenovo X1 Carbon Thinkpad

bsullivan1983

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Bought this fully loaded. Arrived today. Haven't personally owned a laptop in probably 13 years or so. Was going through the programs/apps and surprisingly there isn't much bloatware. I removed what I knew I could. Upon my first restart I had a display driver error... Not a good start for a brand new, out of the box laptop. Other than that it seems great. The keyboard is fantastic. Color seems good. Just looking for opinions before my return policy is up- keep or return? I'll be mainly using this as a mobile technician's computer. I'd like to be able to run VMs and dual boot Linux. I am most comfortable with Windows but not as much with OS X. I'm familiar with Virtualbox but not Parallels/VMware Fusion/Bootcamp. If I'm wanting to learn to service Macs as well, should I just return this and get a MBP; dual boot Windows and run my Linux/other Windows versions in a VM? I actually ordered a MBP the same time I ordered this one but when I found out they're still selling early 2015 models I cancelled my order. I'd rather wait for the newly designed MBP to hit. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the tl;dr!

bsullivan1983

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
MERGED QUESTION
Question from bsullivan1983 : "4th Gen Lenovo X1 Carbon Thinkpad - Mac Relevant"

Bought this fully loaded. Arrived today. Haven't personally owned a laptop in probably 13 years or so. Was going through the programs/apps and surprisingly there isn't much bloatware. I removed what I knew I could. Upon my first restart I had a display driver error... Not a good start for a brand new, out of the box laptop. Other than that it seems great. The keyboard is fantastic. Color seems good. Just looking for opinions before my return policy is up- keep or return? I'll be mainly using this as a mobile technician's computer. I'd like to be able to run VMs and dual boot Linux. I am most comfortable with Windows but not as much with OS X. I'm familiar with Virtualbox but not Parallels/VMware Fusion/Bootcamp. If I'm wanting to learn to service Macs as well, should I just return this and get a MBP; dual boot Windows and run my Linux/other Windows versions in a VM? I actually ordered a MBP the same time I ordered this one but when I found out they're still selling early 2015 models I cancelled my order. I'd rather wait for the newly designed MBP to hit. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the tl;dr!

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
Keep the Thinkpad, and since i think that the X1 is rocking intel integrated graphics go ahead and grab all the drivers off lenovo site. It should fix all issues you are having. Thinkpads are great and super reliable, had one issue with one told lenovo they mailed me a box and got it back in less than 24 hours good as new. Ive never had another company come close to that. You will love it. Macs are less powerful, cost more, and if it breaks be in for $750 just to look at it and fix it.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
I mean macs are okay, but the problem I have is that Apple charges a lot and you can only get a mac repaired by them. They dont like certifying others to do the work.

:(

I like the design of macs but I dont like the OS, couldnt get used to it.