Solved! 5.1 Audio Subwoofer makes loud humming noise

DukeChangWang

Estimable
May 18, 2015
So for a while now I've had a 5.1 home theater setup consisting of 2 Polk Monitor 60 series 2 floorstanding speakers, a pair of Polk Monitor 40 series 2 bookshelf speakers, a Polk CS1 series 2 center speaker, a Polk PSW505 sub, and a Yamaha RX-v3777 receiver, all connected with Coboc Model SPW-2C16-100-CL speaker wire. Before, there was nothing wrong with the setup; I would watch movies with them through HDMI, I would play music through my phone or laptop through them with the AUX and other daily things, but recently when I returned from college, whenever I turn on the sub alone, it makes a loud humming noise, comparable to a small engine, like a small motorboat running, but a lot quieter. Also the sub is connected to the receiver with a Mediabridge RCA to RCA cable.

Solution
Does the sub make the same noise when it's not connected to the receiver?
If it does then the built in sub amp is oscillating. I would contact Polk. They usually replace the amp. If the sub is out of warranty they will charge you but as I remember the price was more than fair. Not hard to replace.
Does the sub make the same noise when it's not connected to the receiver?
If it does then the built in sub amp is oscillating. I would contact Polk. They usually replace the amp. If the sub is out of warranty they will charge you but as I remember the price was more than fair. Not hard to replace.

Solution