5.1 issues

mEEks

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I just recently bought new speakers for my computer (Logitech X-540) and upon hooking them up I ran into some problems. I can only hear sound while using Windows Media Player, and then it only comes out through the front middle speaker and the back ones. While on YouTube or any site like that I can't hear any sound at all, and while playing games the only sound I hear is ambience. I've tried friggin around with things but nothing seems to work. I'm thinking its a problem with the on-board sound (ASUS P5B) because thats also the source of my headset troubles (can't talk through it...).

As you can see I'm almost completely useless with anything computer related, so the solution may seem obvious to those who read this, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
sounds like they are miswired them. does your onboard have any sound testing software which lets you check the channels.

that is the only thing that it can be really, recheck your wiring and report back(i am sure you have already done this but try it one speaker at a time in all the outputs till it sounds right.)

mEEks

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I have resolved the issue with the surround sound, and yes it was the wires. But I still cannot use my headset in the front mic jack, but strangely enough the front output jack works fine. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is at fault here. As I know another person with the same problem. Any ideas?

xad001x0w

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
^^^ most likely, however there are occasionally motherboards that have jumpers or bios settings enabling dp audio sockets. Have a flick through your motherboard manual and see what it says about the fp audio headers and if there are any jumpers you need to set to enable the line in. Worth a try if all else fails.