5.1 only 2 speakers work

Klajnus

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
Hello, i recently bought new speakers for my desktop computer (genius gx gaming sw-g5.1 3500) because i mainly wanted the games to sound more "realistic" and i wanted a greater fealing from playing games, but then i wanted it for music too, because i like bass music so i was really hyped that i could listen to it on the speakers. When i received them, it took me a couple minutes to plug them into my pc and then i whent to test them. I started by playing some games like Battlefield, WatchDogs and Far Cry, and the speakers worked fine. But then i got to a problem. When i tried listen to music (on Youtube or via normal Windows Payer), i could hear the music only from 2 speakers (front left and from a center) so i tried some other sites with music, like SoundCloud, which didn't work, Spotify, same as on SoundCloud, didn't work. I was getting really angry, because music was one of the main reasons i bought these speakers. After trying to find a solution on interned (didn't find anything that would help) i was kinda tired, so i went on Twitch (site where people do live broadcasts) and listened to some streams. Intresting was, that on Twich, the two speakers would not work, instead, the music was coming only from the Subwoofer. There's the point where i got really lost. Here's some info that might help find the solution : When i got the speakers, i had Windows 7, now i have Windows 10. My sound card is : asus xonar dg audio device . Sorry for my Bad English (Im Czech), but i hope you can understand it. By the way, i already tried pluging it again, or installing some drivers, and i also tried configuring the 5.1 setup in the audio. If anyone could find a solution for this problem, i would be really greatfull. Sorry for typing so much, but i hope this way, it is going to be easier to find a solution.

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
The 5.1 setup requires Dolby surround coded sources, like games, DVDs or BluRays. Music typically comes in stereo format for two speaker. Your sound system plays it as 2.1, but if it's a low quality mp3, you will barely hear any bass from the sub-woofer.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Just to add to the above ,because you have your PC set to 5.1 the bass is on a separate channel and is directed to the sub,when you play music you will only get 2 channels and so your sub will not work and likely your front speakers aren't very good on the bass.

Klajnus

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015

Ok, so i kinda knew that i wont get my whole speaker set going when playing music, but it really annoys me, that 2 speakers play. As you said, my front speakers aren't good on the bass, which annoys me the most. So do you think there would be a way, to play the music only on the subwoofer? Like it wouldn't play from the 2 speakers, but only from the subwoofer (which it does on twich for some reason). And thanks so much for the quick answer and everything! :)

makkem

Distinguished
I believe that the sub has an aux in connection.
You could try plugging the 3.5mm input cable for the FL/FR speakers into the AUX input as this may allow the speakers to work as 2.1.
Note that whether this works depends on the specific circuitry of your speakers.

Madmaxneo

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
I had somewhat the same problem with my 5.1 setup.
I discovered it was a soundcard software issue and had to reinstall it for it to work correctly.
I also discovered there are only certain settings in said software that the music will work in surround sound with.
What sound card are you using?

TRENDING THREADS