5.1 Receiver / speakers not working properly on my PC

TechMartyr

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
This is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/b6msYr

Built this PC last year, had no problems so far with it up until i decided to hook up a 5.1 surround system. The sound does work, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as when I have the same receiver / speakers hooked up on my PS4. I did install all the drivers and the realtek audio manager that came with my motherboard, the sound is also set to 5.1 on windows and I'm only getting audio from the 2 front speakers. Been trying to find a solution online but i'm getting mixed answers on this. Either they say the Windows is bugged or that I need a new sound card? That is something i did not purchase when i built this PC. Do you guys think it's worth getting one? if so, which one is the best? My budget is 150$ - 250$. Thanks in advance

Solution
Plain old Dolby and DTS do not equal DDL and DTS Connect - those are specific CODECS for getting compressed surround across optical. If your ps4 is outputting it across hdmi and pc isn't over optical it's pretty plain it's not capable of it.

Your mobo supports DTS Connect and not DDL - you'd need a DTS-C compatible receiver. Or just use HDMI as has been stated a couple times.
how are you connecting? honestly your onboard audio doesnt matter since it is highly suggested you use hdmi out of your video card.

why do they sound different? hdmi is uncompressed, optical is compressed if 5.1/uncompressed if 2.0. also, could be settings or drivers you are using.

looks like its only a 60hz monitor so connecting... pc gpu -> receiver -> monitor should work fine. otherwise, you could have two different hdmi out of your pc one for your monitor and one for just the audio to receiver. both ways work.

there is no need for a soundcard if you use the above method if you used optical, your onboard should still handle it so there would be no need but if it did not, something like a xonar dx would be the best $/perf for this purpose. keep in mind that optical is compressed audio for 5.1 so is not the same quality as hdmi.

i use a receiver with my pc myself. i'm on an older rampage III board with a pioneer receiver. i use the dvi output of my graphics card (via a dvi->hdmi cable.. its basically the same thing as using just hdmi) to the receiver hdmi input. receiver hdmi output to my tv. since i have a 60hz display, theres no issue (if you run something like a 120/144hz panel this wont work as receivers wont support it). receiver gets set to auto surround (pcm by default shows up on display in this mode, dolby shows up if playing movie content). fyi, ps3 outputs via pcm so i'm thinking ps4 does as well.

also assuming you have a normal receiver and speaker setup. if you have a HTIB (home theater in a box) solution it may not support 5.1 via optical (some do some dont). keep that in mind. also, some lack 5.1 capable hdmi inputs other than ARC support. depends on your model. one reason i dont like htibs.

TechMartyr

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

I have Sony DAVTZ140 DVD Home Theater System for receiver / speakers, and I have it connect it through Optical cable.
I own Witcher 3 both on PS4 and PC, and the sound on the PS4 sound a lot better, by better I mean louder ( since all speakers work ) more quality and bass. On the PC on the other hand, i only get sound from the 2 front speakers and to be able to hear something i have to have the volume almost all the way to the max. So I'm assuming i must have a wrong setting on this if my motherboard sound is ok

sounds like your optical is being limited to 2.0. while i'm not sure without reading the manual, i'd have to guess that the upper lineup of asus boards should have 5.1 over optical. it could be a limitation of your receiver over optical perhaps (test the ps4 with optical input for audio to be sure!) if thats the case, use hdmi instead. could be the HTIB lacking 5.1 optical support.

if you must use optical and have tested it with the ps4 to verify its not your receiver lacking support (since its a HTIB), could be a driver issue i suppose. uninstall and reinstall the newest ones. read the manual as well to see if it lists 5.1 support on optical.

not sure about your volume issue.. its not a signal strength issue as optical is digital. the only things i can think of are you have your windows/game settings low, an odd sound mode like virtual surround engaged or something similar. cant say i've had this issue.

TechMartyr

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

it does say on the box that it supports both DTS and Dolby, plus it works 100% on my PS4. It just doesnt work the same on my PC which is why im sure i must be missing a setting or something

TechMartyr

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

i dont think id be able to run 5.1 through HDMI cable, says i need to use the Optical cable.
Also found out that im not even able to configure my audio settings since the button is greyd out and it wont let me change it

261yhj9.png

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Plain old Dolby and DTS do not equal DDL and DTS Connect - those are specific CODECS for getting compressed surround across optical. If your ps4 is outputting it across hdmi and pc isn't over optical it's pretty plain it's not capable of it.

Your mobo supports DTS Connect and not DDL - you'd need a DTS-C compatible receiver. Or just use HDMI as has been stated a couple times.

Solution