5.1 Surround Sound AV receiver not producing any sound When connected to TV

MadJambilith

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Hi

ive had my 5.1 surround AV receiver conected to a tv for awhile now with no isuse at all.
i have just purchused a bigger TV to upgrade the Set up i have. Nothing has changed in the connections both in and out of the Surround Receiver however when plugged into the new TV all sound stops there is Zero sound produced from any source. pluged old TV back in to test and again it works fine.

is this common or easily fixed?

have played around in the both the tvs settings and also the AV receivers settings and have yet to find any solution.

how can this be fixed? and why did it even happen to begin with?

Many Thanks to Whomever can help

Solution
okay, so you're using hdmi passthrough on receiver for video to the tv. that is the common and correct way of connecting
pc->receiver->tv
xbo->receiver->tv

does video passthrough still work on your receiver with the new tv? (do you get video from xbo and pc?)
are you connected to the tv's hdmi(arc) port? (if yes, try another input which is non-arc). is hdmi(arc) disabled on both tv and receiver? (if not, disable it)
if you direct connect from xbo->tv and pc->tv do you get audio?
on your pc does your receiver still show up as the default audio device?
have you double checked that such things as zone 2 is off, your input is correct, try using auto-surround?
if you're watching using the tv tuner do you get sound through your receiver...

MadJambilith

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

Hey ok yeah sorry,

IN Lines:
Computer cpu connected to av receiver via HDMI, Xbox one Connected to receiver Via HDMI.

Out Lines:
HDMI to the TV

okay, so you're using hdmi passthrough on receiver for video to the tv. that is the common and correct way of connecting
pc->receiver->tv
xbo->receiver->tv

does video passthrough still work on your receiver with the new tv? (do you get video from xbo and pc?)
are you connected to the tv's hdmi(arc) port? (if yes, try another input which is non-arc). is hdmi(arc) disabled on both tv and receiver? (if not, disable it)
if you direct connect from xbo->tv and pc->tv do you get audio?
on your pc does your receiver still show up as the default audio device?
have you double checked that such things as zone 2 is off, your input is correct, try using auto-surround?
if you're watching using the tv tuner do you get sound through your receiver? (this would be an indication of hdmi arc)

no, i cant say that this is normal behavior if your settings are right. the only thing i can think of is perhaps some issue with hdmi-arc trying to pull audio from the tv but even then it shouldnt unless you specifically tell it to in the settings.

Solution

MadJambilith

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

Video is not an issuse its clear as day.
TV has 4 HDMI in ports one is ARC three are standard, have tryed this in all 4 jacks and is still an issuse.
TV ARC in disabled, AV receiver doesnt have and ARC setting that i have managed to find ( so this may be an issuse ).
direct connection to the TV from CPU and Xbox Generates sound From the TV's built in speakers when the AV receiver is not pluged in but still nothing at allfrom TV or AV receiver when it is plugged in.

Testing the speakers (in settings) still produces the test static from all speakers even when plugged in.

Sounds like maybe its the AV receivers ARC setting?

have tryed an AUX line from TV back to the Receiver and this generates sound on my front left speaker but the other 4 and the sub remain silent.

Just for you to have a clearer picture here Both TV and AV receiver have an Optical Audio port, and i was informed this may solve the problem but also that it may have the same restraints as the aux line ( limited to a single speaker). dont know if thats any help to you.

very odd. not quite sure what to make of your issue. given that your receiver seems to be working fine i'm hesitant to say its a receiver problem.

aux line out/headphone out should be 2 channel (left and right) not one. check your connections. if using rca red/white you need both for stereo.

what happens when pc->receiver via optical and receiver->tv via hdmi?

is there another tv somewhere you can test to get a 3rd sample size? as of right now i'm thinking something borked with your new tv. another sample size would prove or disprove that perhaps. although even if it is the tv i'm not sure what it is.

given that you havent listed the model and brand info you may want to do that as well.

perhaps one of the other audio guys will chime in and have something to note. i'm a bit perplexed myself as this is odd behavior.

MadJambilith

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

progress but its still not right.

ive introduced an optical digital cable between the TV and AV receiver and TADA! sound from three speakers front left center and front right,

back 2 however and the sub woofer still seem to be over looked in the process.

the new plug arangment is as follows

TV IN LINES:
AV Receiver into TV Via HDMI port 1
PC CPU into TV Via HDMI port 2
Xbox into TV Via HDMI port 3 (port 3 is also the ARC line)

TV Out Lines:
Digital Optical Link

AV receiver in Lines:
Digital Optical link

AV receiver out lines:
HDMI via TVs port 1

All sound is still non existent with the exception of when the AV receiver is in its optical input mode.
this is why i currently have the Xbox and CPU running directly to the TV , the AV receivers HDMI in lines have no sound
only the Optical line.

Unit Models are:
TV, Veon 55" 4K HD V55UHDS
AV Receiver, LG 3D Blue Ray Home Theatre System LHB755W

hope this paints a clearer picture.

never heard of veon before. from what i can tell they are mid to low end house brand. perhaps because of its limited functionality you're experiencing issues although i still dont understand why, unless you just got a defective one. if possible, testing on a third tv to verify would be nice.

i figured as much with optical. it looks like your tv (or htib) may not support surround sound optical in/out. keep in mind that even if it did pc->tv->htib will always result in stereo sound or at most something like what you have because of how windows recognizes the devices (it sees the tv as a stereo device despite if its actually able to output 5.1 to a htib/avr)

instead of going to tv via optical, why did you not go from devices to tv via optical and from the htib to tv via hdmi? if it works its not really a fix just a bandaid but would be interesting to know in case fixing the issue or returning the tv isnt an option.

i've been thinking ab out it.. and nothing seems to make sense about it.

- its not a problem with lack of hdcp support (copy protection) as this would affect video as well.
- its not a problem where your receiver actually can not accept 5.1 input or provide sound (as it worked before the new tv)
- its not a problem with your pc or xbo outputting 5.1 or audio at all (as it worked before with the old tv in same config)
- its not a limitation of how you're connected via hdmi as you had things connected correctly in the first place and i'm assuming here that you have all the relevant settings correct (as you have been using the htib with xbo/pc/tv for years beforehand)

i'm really starting to reach here... but check (via original connections via hdmi of course)

- mute or speaker on/off buttons
- default audio device in windows
- volume levels
- different receiver audio mode (auto-surround, direct, etc)
- disable audio pass through on receiver (if its an option)
- setting tv/htib settings to defaults
- while tv and htib are on, restarting the device (pc or xbo)

as an experiment.. try connecting from pc->tv via hdmi and via pc->htib via hdmi (two connections). you will need to set your default audio device to the htib. this breaks the hdmi "chain" so that the devices are seen separate not together. do you get audio like normal when doing this method? (note: NOT using hdmi output of htib). this is not a fix, just a test.

honestly i'm thinking it has to be some issue with the tv. not sure what or how but that is what it appears to be at least from my perspective. this is why i would really like to know if when testing with a 3rd tv (preferably non veon) if audio works via hdmi like it should. if it is determined to be the tv, is return or exchange an option?

MadJambilith

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

Hey took me awhile to get back to you here but i believe i have it solved.

as you said earlier this is probally more of a bandaid then a "true fix" but its getting the job done.

As you sujested i tryed running my Optical sound out of the individual units and this worked suporting 5.1 surround from each source but only ever one at a time, this one being whichever source was plugged into the AV receiver.
so i have added into the mix here an Optical/TOSLINK switcher. 3 lines in ( TV, Xbox, PC CPU )1 line out to to AV receiver.

Now the transition is marely requires a single press of a button.

this however still doesnt scratch the itch involved with "WHY" this was an issuse that accured in the first place, i believe your probably right in that it simply is a matter of a poor quality lower end tv having cut corners to keep the price down.

this is by no means a perfect solution here but its acheveiving the desired goal, and that was the intention here.

Many thanks ssddx for your help and consult that youve offered me here it was invaluable.