5.1 surround sound from laptop

wildcat1337

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
So i just got the sony bravia dav dz170 and am trying to get the audio from my laptop to play thru the system in 5.1.

For video im going to go hdmi to my tv. For audio, I have tried going hdmi to my tv then optical cable from my tv to the bravia but it doesn't work.. Don't i need a usb soundcard plugged into my laptop then run the optical cable from it to the bravia? Will generic sound cards do this? If so, will a 7.1 surround soundcard work my 5.1 system?

I have been looking at a couple 20/30$ ones:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Adapter-External-Digital-ICUSBAUDIO7D/dp/B002LM0U2S/ref=pd_sim_pc_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FSJZ24R5CXX1NEJTYDH

Solution
Not all devices and not even all users like 2 channel upmixed to 5.1.

Even getting a USB sound card and running optical may not give you 5.1 on all content. Some cards will have options to upmix, while others will not. The upmix quality varies greatly as well. For a card that does NOT upmix, some programs have built in options to do it for you. Windows has a basic Speaker Fill option on many cards as well.

wildcat1337

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

I thought 5.1 only goes thru optical or coaxial. I tried a 3.5m to RCA cable and only the front speakers will work

it seems as if people arent actually reading your first post (that you have a laptop) or what the bravia set you mentioned is (a home theater system).

---

according to the spec sheet
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105457

your home theater system doesnt have hdmi input unfortunately which would have been the best. since that is the case your best bet would be to use optical or coax out of your soundcard and into the rear of your home theater. since laptops dont have these connections normally i would suggest getting a usb soundcard with either optical or coax output.

this would output to your home theater then and allow you to hear sound.

---

a better option would be to return that home theater set and get one which has hdmi inputs. you can then run a hdmi cable from your laptop output to the home theater which would then send the signal through its hdmi output to the tv for video but process the audio and give you sound.

hdmi also will give you better quality audio.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Not all devices and not even all users like 2 channel upmixed to 5.1.

Even getting a USB sound card and running optical may not give you 5.1 on all content. Some cards will have options to upmix, while others will not. The upmix quality varies greatly as well. For a card that does NOT upmix, some programs have built in options to do it for you. Windows has a basic Speaker Fill option on many cards as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS