5.1 Surround Sound Setup Help?

gezeebeezee

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
Hey everyone,

I am new to home theater/home audio set up but I am trying to make a home theater room. We have an old Sony receiver with Bose speakers (2 front, 1 center, 1 subwoofer) and 2 off-brand rear surround speakers that allows for 5.1 surround sound. Our Samsung TV has an audio out that we connect to the receiver. My question is: will the audio out connected to the receiver transmit the correct signal to produce 5.1 surround sound?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Then probably not going to get full 5.1 from the connection. Depending on the receiver, it may have a simulated mode that you can have it run. But that normally puts out the 2 channels to all speakers.
I would suggest using an optical cable from the TV to the stereo, HDMI, or some digital connection type.

gezeebeezee

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014

Hey Freakboi,
Thanks for the quick reply
It is the 3.5mm audio cable. It's the same one used for auxiliary inputs.

Freakboi_pa

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Then probably not going to get full 5.1 from the connection. Depending on the receiver, it may have a simulated mode that you can have it run. But that normally puts out the 2 channels to all speakers.
I would suggest using an optical cable from the TV to the stereo, HDMI, or some digital connection type.

Solution

gezeebeezee

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014

Ok. I had a feeling that would be the case. So if I were to get an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, that would allow for full 5.1?