5.1 Troubleshooting rear channels

apunaha23

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
After a few years going without my rear channels, I finally replaced them and wired them up. The speakers appear to work fine but when I do a THX or other 5.1 test, the rear channel test plays mostly from the front channels with limited sound output from the rear. I've ruled out wiring issues and I'm beginning to wonder if the DSP in my receiver is just old/faulty? Here's my setup:

Cable/Blu-ray goes hdmi to a Samsung LED HDTV.
The HDTV dumps audio out to the receiver via optical cable.
The receiver is a Yamaha 5.1 dolby/dts purchased circa 2000, so no hdmi ports.

At first I thought maybe there was some issue with the way I had the audio routed through the tv. To test this I switched my blu-ray to dump optical straight into the receiver, then played a thx test directly. Same results; hence I'm inclined to think I have a problem with the receiver.

Additionally, when the test runs the LFE part, no sound emits from the sub, yet when I watch a movie or tv, the sub clearly works and produces a good low end.

Any suggestions of things to check? I think my next step is to borrow the neighbor's receiver and verify the problem lies with my old receiver....

Any help is appreciated.

-Jeff

apunaha23

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
Nevermind... the problem was two-fold. One, the digital audio wasn't passing through the tv as I expected. Two, the blu-ray menu settings got reset and the audio page was set to PCM.... so no kidding it wasn't sending digital...

All better now and I dont have to buy a receiver. whew.