5 Reasons You Should Pay for YouTube Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colif

Distinguished
Number one would be great on my phone but as I mostly watch YT on my PC, and use Ublock Origin, I never get ads anyway on YouTube videos. As it stands, its not worth the money.. can also get chrome add ons that let you save videos as well.. seems this is more aimed at mobile market.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

So you could do those things. You could also ... pay to support artists and gain a service that works well everywhere, and doesn't require hacks that break and break and patch and patch.

Kreemer

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Did I miss the one hundred twenty dollars per year every year? This thing of supporting artists is necessary however it much can be done by targeting some of the billions Google makes off consumer data and just not expect all the time to pass the buck to the consumer.

$120 times 300plus million people in the US alone is obscene. If watching ads generates revenue enough to create business, create profit and look after the artists, that's alright.

$120 a year is not small change for many.

advhtg

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
YouTube needs to be undermined on this issue.

As of April 2017 none of Firefox, Safari & Chrome (on iPhone iOS 10.2) plays YouTube in background, no matter what tricks you pull. However, Dolphin browser still does.

Imagine 200 million viewers cowed into paying Red $10/month. You're having a laugh right? It's time to abandon YouTube, maybe move over to SoundCloud...

I can't imagine this being worth it. I also don't believe Youtube makes anywhere close to $120 per year from me off ad revenue. As I never click on ads and watch maybe 10 minutes of Youtube per week. That's limited to how to videos or reviews of products. Which I click on as a last resort. If I can't find it written. I hate having to watch some needlessly long video, made by an amateur who doesn't understand brevity and editing. When I could have skimmed through an article to get the info I need in less than a minute.

Tony Maggs

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Why on earth does this cost so much more in the UK? About $16/month for single membership or $25/month for a family membership. That is more than Netflix and a lot more than Amazon, maybe when they have the content to match I'll consider it.

Dec 1, 2018
How much are they paying you for this?

None of these reasons are compelling enough to justify the price they're asking. Hell, a Netflix's subscription price hike is actually a more acceptable news than this. I don't go to Youtube for its "Targeted Contents", I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the new Disney streaming service next year.

As far as I'm concerned, Youtube and Google just haven't proven enough beyond "ad-free" streaming to justify charging for it. Their definition of "premium" is as laughable as this article.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Hate to burst your bubble, but neither Google nor YouTube is paying me — it's the exact opposite. I pay for YouTube Premium because that's how much I value an ad-free YouTube, and one where I can save clips (LEGALLY) on my devices. Yes, that might not be enough for you, but it is for me.

Aug 19, 2018
It's either in your budget or it isn't. I for one, love it. Some weeks I'm on a lot, others not so much. Still, it's nice whenever I watch or like to show someone something else, it's immediately there and I do not have to worry at all about commercials and ads.

This article pertains to more or less the adults in the world. Kids are gonna read it and then say yeah but!

So yeah, ignore those comments.

Anyway, what I want to know is if there is an annual option? I pay annual subscriptions for most everything else, even Google One Storage, but cannot find such an option for YouTube Premium.

Dec 26, 2018
so youtube red is now youtube premium and costs 12.00 a month, a 2.00 increase even though it has all of the same features. the only supposed benefit to having a youtube premium account for the consumer is that there are no ads. However most people have an ad-blocker engaged in their browser extensions so it really adds no benefit to the majority of users. the content here is good but not enough to make me want to pay 12.00 a month, not when there is netflix, hulu, amazon etc. Youtube premium allows you to download, there are video converters that already allow for this through simple copy and paste maneuvers. Access to youtube premium music or google play music means absolutely nothing when you can just create playlists of music already. There is literally no benefit to youtube premium unless it is so you can see original content and literally most 'youtubers' offer nothing of value, Vsauce is an exception to that, but so much of his content on the regular tier is good I cannot justify paying for this series to myself not when I have more than enough of bills as it is. If this content is really good enough it will be found for free on another streaming site eventually.? In addition to all of this , having a premium account does not even offer you free access to the apparent library of movies and episodes that youtube is hoarding, when in fact you can actually find these for free most of the time on youtube itself anyway. The whole thing is a mess, ridiculous and a waste of time on youtube's part and money on anyone dumb enough to fall for it. This will eventually fail and fade away or rather should and one sincerely hopes it does.

3d_yeah

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Sorry, but YouTube Premium is not 100% ad-free. I purchased it to watch the new Karate Kid series, which was actually good. However, when I try to play some full albums uploaded by my favorite artists, there still chock full of ads. These ads are ill-timed, and will start up at random points during songs, not even in between songs. So yeah, pretty lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.