5 Ways the New Hotmail Beats Gmail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

renegadenukes

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Oh and I've always used Gmail since it came out, and I've always loved it. Something m$ has to give me in order for me to change to Hotmail: DEVELOPER PRIVELAGES!!! got those because I was an early google adopter. very useful for when wave came out at first: I get 100 invites, that all work RIGHT AWAY, instead of having to wait for a lifetime until my friends invite arrived.These functions that are mentioned, don't bug me that it is what makes Hotmail better. I don't care for these kind of functions. Gmail works just fine. Maybe an article on "50 Ways Gmail Beats Hotmail".1st point: Google Labs2nd Point: customizable themes3rd point: mailbox simplicity4th point: archive for all mail5th point: search function to find mail[/citation]

I've been a long time Gmail users too, i've got 3-4 accounts set up to handle my various sources of mail. Even I have to admit that the new Hotmail definitely has an edge over Gmail in some of the more important areas, notably the seamless 25 GB skydrive integration.

I'm not moving over just yet, but it gets more and more tempting each day

renegadenukes

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]Hotmail belongs to Microsoft. MS tried to enslave me into his mail many times. Frequently I had big difficulties avoiding MS "service"..I avoid Hotmail by principle..MS is evil. No way as evil as apple, but evil anyways.[/citation]

and Google is a nfluffy kitten instead? They're more of an evil corporation as MS is

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I use Gmail for email. Of all the features compared, I use none of them. This review is a FAIL.

Review it based on metrics that can be measured, such as how quickly it opens, how easy to navigate, how easy to organize, etc. Trying to show one handles photos better is specious. I READ email, which is text. If a photo is attached to my email, I click, it opens. I get very few emails with linked photos that are on another site.

G

I stopped using hotmail when they required me to type @hotmail.com for my login on the hotmail.com website

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
One thing Hotmail needs to do is put rebuild the confidence lost by spammers and the relationship and image Hotmail has with anti-spam companies like SORBS.net (SPAM databases). Presently, I have to manually whitelist everyone who has a Hotmail address because the SPAM database(s) do not trust any Hotmail accounts. :(

G

I used Hotmail in the past and was attacked with hundreds of spam messages a day, so i moved to gmail and never saw a spam again. Lately i got into my hot mail account. Within an hour all my contact including myself were spamed as if I sent the message. Never again I go back to hot mail
torez

elbarto1977

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I feel Gmail is slightly superior to Hotmail... not by much, but it still is. I've always had better time response with Gmail, using any number of combinations of PC's/Internet connections. Interface is cleaner, search is better. The thing is that my Hotmail account is 12+ years old and I depend on that one for a lot of things. Fortunately, Hotmail began improving a lot, after Gmail went live, that's the beauty of competition... in the end WE are the ones who get the benefits. Nowadays the gap is not that big. Anyways, I use perhaps 70% Hotmail, 30% Gmail. And it works for me :)

G

Domain name mail and Outlook FTW!! Outlook is a powerful tool used correctly!

G

this new version of Hotmail is slow. I've got updated one of my boxes and can compare with gmail. Looks like it's time to move a custom mail domain to Google. (Hotmail still has no aliaces!!!)

wowohwow

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Why can't they just make an email account send and receive emails.

The old hotmail did what you wanted.

I only like gmail because you can change the themes and it's easy to use.

G

GMAIL has the worst interface of an of the email programs. The reply button is way off to the right and the foward button is at the bottom, what a pain. Couldn't they have put all of the buttons at the top and the bottom like everyone else?

G

the look of the inbox - the feeling nice about it factor - HOTMAIL
fastest message opener - GMAIL ON CHROME
simple photo attachment - HOTMAIL ON A WINDOWS PC = GMAIL WITH PICASSA
my first love years back - YAHOO.
why i hate yahoo now - didnt grow up at the right time. Now its caught up, somewhat
why i love gmail - The attitude - It keeps updating faster with newer features
why i hate hotmail - The attitude - They they took away my calendar (years back), and such. Cant trust - might do it again, if theres no competition.
why i love yahoo - good search and delete function

OVERALL - GMAIL - modern, good chats and video, might get better, usually more faster than both hotmail and yahoo.

G

The Sweep feature does not work on Hotmail. I have tried numerous times and keep getting dozens of unwanted emails from the same nuisance senders every day.

G

I get so much junk mail that is unwanted from sites with odd @###**##.com addresses that I have never visited and I have no idea how they got my e-mail address. I have used sweep and blocked the senders and cannot get this stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.