5 Ways to Save Money By Using Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have to strongly disagree with the "Go Second Hand". While I am a strong proponent of buying earlier generations of well-tested products, I will only buy them new or refurbished from a store - not 'second hand' which is buying them from someone who has already had use of the item.

In my opinion, buying most types of 'second hand' electronics are a recipe for disaster. It's often impossible to tell how old they are, how what state of repair they are in (especially if buying at auction or online), and whether or not the manufacturers warranty has expired / been breached.

asiaprime

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I agree w/ kanazak I would more likely to go for previous gen, than used. in the world of ipods, the previous version gets a price drop before the new one is launched to help clear out stock.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Yeah I typically go for pre-gen stuff. In fact the only thing that I'm going to get that's this-gen hardware is the Samsung Wave mobile. That aside, I've been contemplating on getting a HD 5750 but I'm yet to spend 150+ euros on a graphics card when I forgot the last time I've played.

Far as other suggestions? I could pitch in a few:

Online call services:

Programs like Skype allow you to call other landlines and other way round at a cheaper cost (most probably) so you make full use of your internet and what you'd spend on phone bills you can either get a better internet package or just pocket more cash than you'd be spending.

No Cable TV:

Seriously with things like Youtube, metacafe and more you can watch all your TV series online without any problems. This will save you from:

1) Buying/paying for the cable box
2) Having to deal with more support (So just internet support rather than internet/cable)
3) Most importantly, you don't need to by another TV set when your monitor/laptop allows you to view everything

Games: Well sure you can probably mark this one out but on the net there's an entire slew of F2P (free to play) full games, mostly MMORPG's that have some item store to get anything decent but still I remember playing Silk Road Online for a while and some for some of IJJI's games. All of which were free and weren't all that bad honestly.

I really think there are some more things but I can't seem to remember them at the moment, I'll post again if they come to mind. Also I have to say I'm somewhat surprised you didn't add the first two I said but I guess there's quite a few things you can do with the internet so something was bound to slip anyone's mind who wrote this kind of article.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
2nd hand sports cars aren't the best... I always buy my cars brand new, the warranty is worth a lot especially for turbo sports cars. An EVO-X MR engine is worth around 6k, a turbo is 5k, a transmission is 10k, you get the point.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I use the Internet to provide me with information so that I can avoid being ripped off or buying stupid stuff I don't need. For example did you know tap water is perfectly safe to drink in most major US cities? In many cases it's checked more stringently than bottled water!

As for second hand electronics, I wouldn't recommend it.

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
How do I save money? I have taught myself to repeatedly say: "I don't need a 5850, I don't need a 5850..." It's brought me to my senses at the check-out on more than one occasion.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Lies. Steam doesn't save me money. 75% or so of those sales are too good to pass up, I just bought Fallout 3 GOTY and Oblivion GOTY and rebought Morrowind GOTY (to have it forever on Steam, no scratched disks). If they had never been on sale I'da never have bought them.

... Yeah, okay, so I suck, but it's true.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
It helps me become a savvy shopper from looking at reviews and previews of what I'm about to purchase. All this in the comfort of my own desk and not be pestered by sleazy salesperson.

mattfoo2324

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
+! Kelavarus. Just bought FEAR GOLD for $10, Batman AA for $20 and I will have Fallout 3 GOTY today ($25). I don't even know how much these games would be new (~$150 - $175), and I got them all for $55. Steam is so full of rule I can't describe it.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]2nd hand sports cars aren't the best... I always buy my cars brand new, the warranty is worth a lot especially for turbo sports cars. An EVO-X MR engine is worth around 6k, a turbo is 5k, a transmission is 10k, you get the point.[/citation]
I have a 09 Charger R/T, while it is not a "sports car" it does have 350hp Hemi. I bought it used with 16,000km on it; 1 yr old.... came with the balance of factory warranty. Oh… also… I bought the car for $18,000 less than new.

Used cars DO come with warranty!

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
[citation][nom]kanazak[/nom]I have to strongly disagree with the "Go Second Hand". While I am a strong proponent of buying earlier generations of well-tested products, I will only buy them new or refurbished from a store - not 'second hand' which is buying them from someone who has already had use of the item.In my opinion, buying most types of 'second hand' electronics are a recipe for disaster. It's often impossible to tell how old they are, how what state of repair they are in (especially if buying at auction or online), and whether or not the manufacturers warranty has expired / been breached.[/citation]

I disagree partially, it depends on what you buy and who from. I bought a samsung lcd 46" 1080p 120hz from a friend for $800. He had got it before circtuit city went out and still has the extended warranty with has 2 years left. At the time anything similar would have cost $1500. Big items are pretty safe as long as you get some background information from the owner and look at the reason they are getting rid of it. If they are the type to have to have the best and greatest, most likely they are just upgrading and the older equipment is fine. laptops, cellphones, graphics cards, and such that have been on the market for over 6 months are definate no-no's;tv's, floor speakers, receivers, blu-ray players are generally pretty safe. Just use common sense and you stand to save so serious bucks.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Lies. Steam doesn't save me money. 75% or so of those sales are too good to pass up, I just bought Fallout 3 GOTY and Oblivion GOTY and rebought Morrowind GOTY (to have it forever on Steam, no scratched disks). If they had never been on sale I'da never have bought them. ... Yeah, okay, so I suck, but it's true.[/citation]

LOL, i did the same thing =D

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]kanazak[/nom]I have to strongly disagree with the "Go Second Hand". While I am a strong proponent of buying earlier generations of well-tested products, I will only buy them new or refurbished from a store - not 'second hand' which is buying them from someone who has already had use of the item.In my opinion, buying most types of 'second hand' electronics are a recipe for disaster. It's often impossible to tell how old they are, how what state of repair they are in (especially if buying at auction or online), and whether or not the manufacturers warranty has expired / been breached.[/citation]

Oh really? I brought second hand L4D2 from CEX for £15 cheaper than retail and it works with Steam, basically it is EXACT same you would get with new L42 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS