5G Networking: The Definitive Guide (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorribot

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Can't get 3G where I live, and only 2 out of 4 carriers have any signal at all.
4G probably wont arrive before the major cities have 5G if at all.

If only the government (why would a politician do anything for anyone other than themselves?) could work in the interests of the whole country and carve up all the rural black spots and give them to the Phone companies with a install 4g or lose your license ultimatum, then we will all be happy.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Seems like it will have even more issues than 4G for the end user. While higher frequencies naturally allow for higher data rates (e.g., without any special modulation, going peak to peak on a waveform will allow 1 bit of data to be transmitted. The problem is that the higher the frequency, the less it is able to go through objects.
The other ways to improve transmit speed, is to increase the complexity of the modulation e.g., modulating phase and amplitude in as many ways as possible. The problem is that when you do this, the effective range gets shorter and shorter, as it is more susceptible to noise.

What I am wondering is if they use a more complex modulation, will it have the same issue as 256QAM on WiFi, where companies advertise 1300mbit/s, but realistically the router will only hold 256QAM for about 6-10 feet before it has to lower the modulation.

Overall, how do they plan to deal with the ranged performance, and how do they plan to deal with the real world performance. 4G in the city is slow because of network congestion, 1000 times the wireless performance does not mean much, if the link going to the tower only offers like 2 gigabits of throughput to be shared by a few thousand people in the area.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Thats what I thought, higher frequency = shorter distance.

Still wish I could turn my iPhone back to 2G sometimes.
Talk time was far longer than 3G. Ideal for when ur out and your battery is low, and 2G is plenty fast for any data based messaging.

Baumy15

Estimable
May 12, 2014
by the time 6G comes out I may have access to 5G. 4G is only being considered around where I live now and 3G internet it crazy slow.

dakkon

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Another useless tech if they dont fix the back end first. its like the water company placing a customer facing 1 foot diameter pipe, but the pipe that connects to the facility is only a 4 inch diameter pipe which is also shared by other customers, the only water you will get will only be a tickle...

vipboy28

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Amazing Technology! Excited to see this implemented! With that said, I'm thinking the following:

"download a 2 hour movie in 12 seconds" hmmmmm someone can blow their entire monthly cap in 12 seconds... Cell companies like Verizon must be eager to adopt these new technologies and then claim utility status and have tax payers front half of the bill.

Can we seriously have someone audit how much it actually costs to cell companies to send recieve store etc 1 gb of data for 1 user. These monopoly practices have to stop!

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
LOL @Baumy15 that might be true, unfortunately... Where do you live?

@digitalw - a lot of people actually have white papers about 5G, including Ericsson, 4GAmericas etc. I've read most of them and they all say pretty much the same thing!

@vipboy28 - that's a very good point that we also considered here at Tom's Guide - the carriers haven't said anything other than they'll have to make the technology "scalable" or affordable for the masses, so I suspect (or hope) it won't cost more than 4G... And it's more likely they'll raise data caps... Who knows, though, maybe by 2020, every plan will come with unlimited data! A girl can dream...

vipboy28

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
@CherlynnLow

A boy can only dream as well. As you already know companies has such a monoply on these services. I just wish they would be realistic and price their services better. I get they are a business and need to make money, but when companies are making record profits and increasing prices because they are the only worthwhile service provider in the area thats a MAJOR problem.

Brandon Schilling

Estimable
Mar 18, 2015
So what you are saying is you think that my cell phone bill should be higher to pay for you to get 4G. If you want 4G then move to a city, or get people around you to fund the network. I'm sure if a town called up T-Mobile and said build out your network here and we will pay half your costs they would jump right on it. I already pay higher taxes and higher cost of living to live in a city I'm not about to start paying for your phone service as well!

Can't get 3G where I live, and only 2 out of 4 carriers have any signal at all.
4G probably wont arrive before the major cities have 5G if at all.

If only the government (why would a politician do anything for anyone other than themselves?) could work in the interests of the whole country and carve up all the rural black spots and give them to the Phone companies with a install 4g or lose your license ultimatum, then we will all be happy.

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

it's so hard to tell exactly how to price something as intangible as mobile data... Economics (supply and demand) and cost of infrastructure and everything that's involved are pretty complex. I don't know if data could be cheaper for sure.. Perhaps it can and businesses can be more transparent about pricing

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
@Cheryl, the Operating cost price is 1 cent(1 penny) per GB (1000mb). This
is why data plans make service providers huge incredible profits.

Maybe i should start leasing my wifi to my neighbors

vipboy28

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
@CherlynnLow

You are 100% correct it is impossible to tell the actual cost of everything involved. I know that these cell providers know the exact dollar amount. However they choose to never disclose that information. We need investigation on how much data really costs because if they are willing to throw in free text and free voice for 2gb of data and say data is expensive, then we need to know what their bottom line cost is.

Like i said before a business needs to make money and im fine with that. If fact I encourge it, but i dont like paying 10000% markup fees like at the movie theaters and their food pricing... lol ok im done with my rant sorry lol

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
@CherlynnLow

You are 100% correct it is impossible to tell the actual cost of everything involved. I know that these cell providers know the exact dollar amount. However they choose to never disclose that information. We need investigation on how much data really costs because if they are willing to throw in free text and free voice for 2gb of data and say data is expensive, then we need to know what their bottom line cost is.

Like i said before a business needs to make money and im fine with that. If fact I encourge it, but i dont like paying 10000% markup fees like at the movie theaters and their food pricing... lol ok im done with my rant sorry lol

hah! nothing wrong with ranting at all! if something is unjust it should be rectified if possible. it's the how to make it possible part that's tough. money talks, unfortunately. that's my opinion, at least!

@Dustin Cannon
as mentioned in the discussion above, i'm holding out hope that one day, we might all have unlimited data plans! but i believe that the carriers will have to change their offerings to match what 5G can provide, if that really happens

vipboy28

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

A little boy can only dream right lol. I hope that one day our current elected officials who dont really understand technology adopt a better understanding what freedom in the technology world actually means. This isnt China in regards to restriction on content but the way these companies (monopolies) have such a grip on our elected officials is disgusting.

You are correct! Money talks and im not rich yet, being 28 I have plenty of time left lol.

Baumy15

Estimable
May 12, 2014

vic, Australia. home of the slow useless over expensive internet I cant even get ADSL or DLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.