how to keep the eero 6 router locked to 5g

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i just got frontier and they setup the eero 6 + routers. but for some reason i'm having issues with my hp ryzen 3 pc to stay on the 5g side of the wifi. i can get it there after a bit of messing around with disconnecting the pc from the network and then i get the 5g. but if i let the pc set for a bit it goes back to the 2.4g. and i start all over.

so this is what i have done so far.
reset the pc to a new install of win 10.
went to hp and downloaded the last wifi drivers.
went into the device manager and in the network i turned the driver on to 5g preferred.

it is now at 5g but tomorrow it will be back to 2.4g i can see the speed on the eero app. i do not think the issue is the pc becasue i had it connected to a network hub that will do 1000 mbps speeds. and during the install the pc ran at 1000 mbps. anyway some place something is not working correctly. so maybe someone has a fix they can share? i tried win10 forums and they can't seem to help. i tried to install win11 because my pc said that was ready to install thinking that win11 may resolve any drivers, but it would not install. this pc is win11 ready per win10 guys. and hp support.

i have 500/500 internet and i know i will not get that on wifi but 20mbps is way to low when at this time it is at 240 mbps and i can get that but i have to mess around for a bit to finally get it to stay. now this may be in the eero 6 router but i swapped them yesterday thinking that was the issue and that did not resolve it either.

so maybe some here has a fox. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i do not know how to do that on this eero 6 router using the app. by any chance do you? i did change them around
the one that was in the garage i put in the family room and took the family room out in the garage and i still get the same issue. then i did a factory reset on the bottom of the units and i changed the ports and ran a wire from the family room to the one in the garage so they were connected directly and still no difference. i wonder if they are to close and the garage is holding the family room unit down?

i just took 3 other pcs and turned them on and connected them to this eero 6 router in the family room and they all connected up to 2.4 and they all have 5g radios. so it has to be the way these routers work. i may see if i can get my netgear router to connect to the garage main eero 6 router and then i can log onto that and see my connections.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Or remove the 2.4 network password on the device so it can't connect to that network.

Usually, when you have both 2.4 and 5Ghz networks, your system will connect to the one with the best signal strength. This is the expected behavior.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
this eero 6 only has one password. i'm familiar with like the netgear that does have passwords for both channels. i have been all over the eero app and i just do not see any place to force the device into 5g mode. so i think i will see if i can get one pv my netgear routers to connect and then maybe i can get the family room into 5 g mode. thanks.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok i think i got this figured out. it seems it did not like setting by the tv. i moved it over against a different wall and the speed came back to 250mbps on the wifi pcs. also i took a linksys ea7500 router and put it into bridge mode and now that sets by the tv and i get 250mbps on wifi and 550mpbs on wired devices. so the eero is real sensitive to being close to electric devices. which is useless being that is where tons of network gear is located,