5G vs. 4G: Real-World Wireless Speeds Compared

soplastered2

Estimable
Aug 17, 2018
Is network speed the same as download speed? I'm really shocked by how low your numbers are. My phone's network speed is 433Mbps. I read this article because my old router had 2 WIFI accounts. One for 2.4g the other for 5G. I recently "upgraded" my system but the new router only has one account and does not show 5G. I read this article because I want to know if I did in fact still have a 5G network. Now I'm more confused however because my numbers are so outrageously different from what you show here. I've attached a screenshot so you might be able to see where I'm making my mistake because for what I'm paying for my services there's no way I can have speeds that much faster than the top of the line 5G networks.file:///O:/Desktop/New%20folder/Screenshot_20210313-025251_Settings.jpg

QCS

Nov 2, 2021
Is network speed the same as download speed? I'm really shocked by how low your numbers are. My phone's network speed is 433Mbps. I read this article because my old router had 2 WIFI accounts. One for 2.4g the other for 5G. I recently "upgraded" my system but the new router only has one account and does not show 5G. I read this article because I want to know if I did in fact still have a 5G network. Now I'm more confused however because my numbers are so outrageously different from what you show here. I've attached a screenshot so you might be able to see where I'm making my mistake because for what I'm paying for my services there's no way I can have speeds that much faster than the top of the line 5G networks.file:///O:/Desktop/New%20folder/Screenshot_20210313-025251_Settings.jpg

I had to reply to this, because I think education and learning new things is invaluable.

Network and download speeds are 2 different things, but so is 5G and 5Ghz. In this article, they are talking about CELL PHONE networks, while you are referring to WiFi frequencies. 2.4GHz and 5GHz are WiFi fequencies. 5GHz provides faster speeds than 2.4GHz, but at a sacrifice of range. You also don't pay any subscription fees with 2.4GHZ or 5GHz - they are built into your WiFi router and devices (some have both, and some only support 2.4GHz - although by now I think most devices support both).

3G, 4G, and 5G are all cell phone network technologies, with 5G being the latest, and presumably fastest. While connected to your WiFi network, you make no use of your cell phone network's data plan, so in that case, 4G or 5G do not apply to you. They would only apply to you while not on any WiFi network, and using your cell phone's data plan. And as for not getting 5G because you pay less for your plan is not necessarily accurate, as here, in Canada, Rogers charges the same whether you have a 4G or 5G device. They claim that they "include 5G" in their pricing - supposed to make you feel special I guess :)

Now, regarding network speed vs download speed. The 2 use different measurements. For example, on a 300Mbps (Megabits per second) connection, you could expect to see downloads speeds of up to 37.5MBps (Megabytes per second). I found this page that talks about the difference in internet speed or bandwidth, and download speed: https://www.jetspot.in/what-is-the-difference-between-internet-speed-download-speed/#:~:text=Connection speed (or Internet Bandwidth,connection provided by your ISP.&text=On the other hand, when,is interpreted as Download Speed.

Hopefully that helps someone learn something new :)

Last edited: