7.1 not working

Boom5833

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
Surround sound coming from the front speakers

I am running an onkyo 757, a Samsung 7000, ps4 and klipsch speakers.

My TV is hooked to the main hdmi port and the ps4 is hooked to port 4 which is game.

My TV will not allow me to select dolby digital from the options it is greyed out and will only let me select pcm.

My speakers work fine when I run an auto tune on the onkyo but only the front speakers work when I run a 7.1 test on you tube on my ps4.

What am I missing?

Solution
I think you mean that all the sound comes from the front L/R speakers?
If you are getting your audio from the TV then it seems that it doesn't output in surround sound only stereo PCM. Connect the PS4 to the directly to the receiver not the TV. That will also allow lossless audio from BD discs which would not pass through the TV even if it did output in bitstream.
You will not be able to select a different output format using your TV. This may work if you are using your tv to 'output' to the A/V receiver, but only if you are using ARC then the TV will OUTPUT the chosen format. The A/V receiver is the unit that will be de-coding the audio being inputted. Try using the surround de-code option on your A/V receiver.

I think you mean that all the sound comes from the front L/R speakers?
If you are getting your audio from the TV then it seems that it doesn't output in surround sound only stereo PCM. Connect the PS4 to the directly to the receiver not the TV. That will also allow lossless audio from BD discs which would not pass through the TV even if it did output in bitstream.

Solution