7.1 surround headset, worth it ?

CptSqrt

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Hi! I was wondering if headsets with 7.1 surround are worth it. I have a hyperx cloud core and I dont know if it is worth upgrading to hyperx cloud 2(because of my budget ). What do you guys think ?

Solution
depends on what you want honestly. if you are only worried about having virtual surround... then possibly, yes.

you can experiment for free with razers virtual surround sound program but honestly out of the 3 its not as good as the rest. often dolby headphone or cmss3d/sbx are preferred. dolby headphone can be had on the cheap $30 xonar dg/dgx while sbx can be had on creative cards.

also, consider that the soundcard on the hxc2 has not had a good history nor is it really all that special. while the problem has likely been long since fixed, for awhile there quality when using the hxc2 soundcard was dreadful and buying the core edition and internal soundcard like the dg/dgx was suggested.

tldr; yes it may.

Slumy__57

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
My brother has the hyperx cloud, and I have the cloud 2 with 7.1 surround. I think there is a noticeable difference between the two, the cloud 2 being better. BUT, if I had the non-surround version I wouldn't spend the extra money just to get the surround. I would only recommend the cloud 2's to someone that needs a headset, and wants suggestions on which to buy.

CptSqrt

Prominent
May 14, 2017

So getting a sound card would be a better choice ? What do you think ?

depends on what you want honestly. if you are only worried about having virtual surround... then possibly, yes.

you can experiment for free with razers virtual surround sound program but honestly out of the 3 its not as good as the rest. often dolby headphone or cmss3d/sbx are preferred. dolby headphone can be had on the cheap $30 xonar dg/dgx while sbx can be had on creative cards.

also, consider that the soundcard on the hxc2 has not had a good history nor is it really all that special. while the problem has likely been long since fixed, for awhile there quality when using the hxc2 soundcard was dreadful and buying the core edition and internal soundcard like the dg/dgx was suggested.

tldr; yes it may.

Solution