7 Ways the Retina Display Changes How We Use the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

iPhone 4 & iPhone 4s share the same hi-resolution Retina display...

G

Rachel, do you have any idea what you're talking about? The iPhone 4 and 4S have the exact same screen. The retina display first debuted on the iPhone 4.... anyone who knows anything about technology know that....

G

I assume she meant to say the change in resolution from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.

G

It's sites like this that I never return to... putting a list over 7 pages to get as many page views as you can. So annoying. Not going to waste time here.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]BobBuilder34[/nom]iPhone 4 & iPhone 4s share the same hi-resolution Retina display...[/citation]
iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 is the change I meant to reference, thanks!

Rachel Rosmarin
Managing Editor, Tom's Guide

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
The new iPad has 4 times the resolution of the iPad 2 (2048x1536 is 4 times as large as 1024x768) not double (1024x768 doubled would only be 1024x1536).

G

DaFees, your math is off.
2048x1536 really is double the resolution of 1024x768.

Learn to do basic algebra before getting involved with technology.

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
[citation][nom]ZerothDenominator[/nom]DaFees, your math is off.2048x1536 really is double the resolution of 1024x768.Learn to do basic algebra before getting involved with technology.[/citation]

Excuse me, but how is my math wrong. Allow me to do the "algebra." 1024x768 is the resolution of the iPad 2, which if you do the implied multiplication, then you'll see the iPad 2 has 786432 pixels. 2048x1536 is the resolution of the new iPad which if you do the multiplication again you'll see the new iPad has 3145728 pixels. Now do the division. 3145728 pixels / 786432 pixels = 4. Therefore I am 100% correct in that the new iPad has 4 times or quadruple the resolution of the iPad 2 not double.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]ZerothDenominator[/nom]DaFees, your math is off.2048x1536 really is double the resolution of 1024x768.Learn to do basic algebra before getting involved with technology.[/citation]
Actually, it is 2 x in vertical and horizontal directions meaning 4 x the number of pixels. The math was correct.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Did anyone else read the bloody introduction paragraph accidentally EVERY PAGE? What's with that anyway? Why is it always there??

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]Did anyone else read the bloody introduction paragraph accidentally EVERY PAGE? What's with that anyway? Why is it always there??[/citation]
This should be fixed now.

Rachel Rosmarin
Managing Editor, Tom's Guide

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I'm hoping that Android tablet makers will now introduce either the equivalent or superior resolution displays with their tablets. After using one of the new iPads tablets with lower resolution displays looks almost disturbingly pixelated. I read in a post that yesterday where someone purported that they actually preferred the lower resolution displays to that of the 3rd gen iPad. That's the worst kind of denial I've seen so far. The new iPad's display is alarmingly gorgeous. The smoothness was great on the iPhone but is just delectable on the iPad's larger screen. Oh, iOS still has its annoyances but the displays certainly help forgive them.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]This should be fixed now.Rachel RosmarinManaging Editor, Tom's Guide[/citation]
wow thanks rachel, dont normally expect that kind of swift response from toms lol

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Great. Now Apple's going to read the last page, patent the black bezel concept, and sue everyone (read: Samsung) who produces anything with a black bezel. Nevermind that they were last to the party.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]wow thanks rachel, dont normally expect that kind of swift response from toms lol[/citation]
Well, that fix was within my control (most are not!).

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
One other thing that the retina display has changed:

Text that is formatted for normal print paper (i.e. A4) is now perfectly readable when displayed on the iPad's 10" display. If you deal with PDFs then you will notice this instantly - you no longer have to zoom in or get eye strain. For example, reading scientific journal articles was annoying in the past as they come 'e-printed' to A4 PDFs. You can't rescale the text like in an ebook and so have to zoom in and scroll around like mad. Now each page fits perfectly and is perfectly legible.

Similarly, magazines that publish e-versions (e.g. through Zinio) are now also perfectly readable on the iPad. By this I mean magazines who's e-versions are just digital copies of their printed versions so not scalable and not designed with tablet devices in mind. Reading the e-version of New Scientist (as an example) was frustrating on the iPad 2 as the text was too jagged or blurry to read whilst displaying the whole page and led to eye-strain and zooming around the whole time to read a magazine was irritating.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

This is the kind of arrogance I have come to expect from your typcial Apple product user.

dashogun

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Haha ZerothDenominator, you are so fail and funny at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.