7 year old Asus worth upgrading ?

Oct 5, 2018
I have a 7 year old Asus a73sv. I'm not using it so I want to gift it, but it's running incredibly slow.
The hardware inside is:
6GB Ram (4GB usable)
Intel Core B940 2.00GHz( I think that's the cpu speed)
1GB Nvidia GeForce 540M
600GB HDD
I'd like to buy a SSD to make it run faster and reinstall Windows10. My question is, will it run significantly faster ? As of now I need to wait circa 5 minutes to go to YT and can't even watch a video at 60FPS.
I thought it would be a fun little project, trying to fix my old baby up, but is it worth it ?

Solution
Nope :) If she just wants something to watch Netflix e.t.c and perform basic tasks you can look at a NUC like the one in the attached and scrap the Laptop.... Can get for around the $200 mark and will do everything she needs....

jay.wooster

Great
Sep 27, 2018
You need a minimum 8 GB of RAM mate, the 4GB would be significantly impacting the performance of the PC. Not sure what RAM you are using (DDR2 or DDR3 which should be pretty cheap) Also, what PSU Wattage ?

Personally i wouldnt spend any more money on it though, better off starting from the ground up mate

Also, is it running Windows 10 or an earlier version ?

das_stig

Distinguished
Old Core Pentium that can't match the cheapest i3's of today.
6GB more than enough to run Windows 7 x64 or Mint Linux with a windows look and feel.
A cheap SSD wouldn't be an expensive final upgrade and would give it legs for a few more years.

Oct 5, 2018

It's a laptop, It's DDR3, altough I could buy a cheap 1x4GB RAM for like 20 bucks or so. And a cheap Sandisk SSD would cost me another 30 bucks. I would give to to my sister and she is probably going to use it just to watch Netflix and stuff.

Oct 5, 2018

Is it worth to buy 4GB more ram to run Win10 Pro ?
I'm planing to invest like 100 bucks for ram,keyboard,ssd and battery, is it really worth it ?

jay.wooster

Great
Sep 27, 2018
Nope :) If she just wants something to watch Netflix e.t.c and perform basic tasks you can look at a NUC like the one in the attached and scrap the Laptop.... Can get for around the $200 mark and will do everything she needs....

Solution
Oct 5, 2018

Sure seems interesting, but there are still investements to be made, considering my laptop has some sentimential value to me. It seems okay, but considering that I have a gig GPU, a display and a WIN10 license I'll have to think about it.
But thanks for your input, you sure did help

jay.wooster

Great
Sep 27, 2018
Win 10 license is transferable to a new PC if that helps....

Does it actually still show Netflix and meet her other requirements but just take its time to boot and function ? I dont feel like i actually answered your question but answered a question you didnt ask !!!

jay.wooster

Great
Sep 27, 2018
The cheap SSD and transferring the Windows installation onto that would improve boot times by 50-75% and improve functions like web surfing and core windows functions quite considerably. How is the internet connectivity ? Unsure of the on board ethernet on your laptop....

CrazyDingo

Estimable
May 1, 2015
If you don't want to spend on hardware you could, as suggested above, try a light-weight linux distribution.
An older laptop of mine that ran like a dog with Windows 10 became quite usable with lubuntu.

Oct 5, 2018

I made the call yesterday to buy a SanDisk 120GB Ssd and see if it will get me anywhere. I did a clean install of Win10 and it worked like a charm. Boot times are 90 percent faster, the laptop is usable now. Of course there's a 3-4 second wait time in till YouTube videos load and such, but it is pretty much useable. For an average user it is splendid.

And you're right, you didn't answer my question, but if the SSD fix didn't work, I'd know what my next step was.