711 Million Email Addresses Exposed: How to Protect Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Some of my old emails have been compromised. The good news about potential password leaks is that every year I go through a brand new iteration of passwords. Thanks for sharing!

stevendbritten

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Ironically, when I click on the link for haveibeenpwned.com I get:

"This site can’t provide a secure connection

haveibeenpwned.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure."

Huh???

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Hm, maybe your browser's settings have something off for HTTPS? when I opened haveibeenpwned.com/ on my end (Chrome) it loaded properly and automatically added that HTTPS prefix.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Change your passwords on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. There are apps that can do that for you but staying local is more secure. Don't forget you bank. I have 19 sites that need a password. It's a waste of time changing my security information that often. If that's too often then it's you that is choosing to get hacked.

There are anti-keylogging programs that can help avoid closer hack attacks.

An IVPN can help. While something like CyberGhost free can help paid services are usually more secure than free services. Security programs like AVG have integrated VPN trials which you can then upgrade.

Use disposable eMail account names whenever possible.

If your network is hardwired you can disable your Wi-Fi radios.

Password1234 is still being used :pfff:

Status
Not open for further replies.