8 gb ram , gtx 960 , i3 4150 ( dual core ) , how would this do for gaming and does a dual core cpu really effect performance

VitalBlade

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
So im building my own desktop , ive selected 8 gb ddr3 ram , gtx 960/950 and a i3 4150 , with it being dual core how would it effect performance on high end games like gta 5 , witcher 3 , ark survival etc.

Solution

8GB is good for most games. 16 should be enough for anything and the awhile into the future aswell. How many memory slots does your motherboard have. Don't know if your going to do 1 stick of 8 gig's or 2 sticks of 4 GB's. I did 1 stick of 8 GB's to start, and will get another stick of 8GB in the future. Although many people recommend buying them in matched pairs for better performance. Maybe do 2 sticks of 4 and then add another pair of 4GB sticks later??

You should be able to run those games pretty well with that set up. I...
G

you cant even run gta v without a quad core cpu i would recommmed the i5 4460. as for every thing else at 1080p or even 1440p in some games at ultra you would do just fine. just get a quad core cpu

G

bro your everywhere

sizzling

Distinguished
Although the i3 has hyperthreading which gives it 4 threads hyperthreading only gives up to about a 15% boost from the reviews I have seen. This means it is by no means equal or close to an i5 and with games really starting to use 4 physical cores I'd avoid the i3 unless really stuck for budget

Vergilangleos

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014
first , i3 can run gta V easily
and about your specs , for gpu like gtx 960 , I3 cpu is great choice and there isn't any bottleneck with that .. you can see details in this link
http://www.techspot.com/review/972-intel-core-i3-vs-i5-vs-i7/

SKIPPY PB

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

8GB is good for most games. 16 should be enough for anything and the awhile into the future aswell. How many memory slots does your motherboard have. Don't know if your going to do 1 stick of 8 gig's or 2 sticks of 4 GB's. I did 1 stick of 8 GB's to start, and will get another stick of 8GB in the future. Although many people recommend buying them in matched pairs for better performance. Maybe do 2 sticks of 4 and then add another pair of 4GB sticks later??

You should be able to run those games pretty well with that set up. I went after the 4GB version of the GTX 960. Because it was the same price. You can use GPUboss to compare different models.

Also espiecally if your putting it together yourself remember you can always upgrade later. Many people shy away from this options and opt to stretch for something in the middle which isn't a bad option. I went with a Pentium G3258 for 60 bucks for a few months until I found a 4790k i7 on sale for 250 bucks. Waiting for the sales is optimal, both those CPU's cost me less than most people pay for the 4790k itself at $320 MSRP. Sales come up left and right being patient at keeping the bank loaded and ready to go will benefit you in the long run. Patients is a virtue. Long story short waiting for a good deal to come up can yield a better final product. Also you can save up a few more bucks in the mean time to throw into the pot.

Solution