980M or 970M SLI?

ZombieRobo

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
Title says all. I've been looking at gaming laptops and torn between the two. Not because some games don't work in SLiu, but price difference. One is $2400 and the 970M SLI is $2700. Is the SLI worth it?

Lots of games don't support SLI. It's also trickier to compare performance in laptops because we don't know how they are throttling due to heat so a GTX980M for games that do NOT support SLI could be 15% to 30% faster.

(if I had to guess I'd say maybe up to 40% faster for 2x970M vs 1x980M but it varies a lot. also, the price of only $300 makes me question if everything else is apples-to-apples because it seems too little difference. for example, if the SLI didn't have GSYNC but the 980M did then it's an easy choice)

Also not sure about the rest of the specs though I strongly recommend your screen have these specs:

IPS
75Hz
GSYNC

Other:
I'm not sure if you can wait, but a GTX1070M or GTX1080M are going to be really awesome. The new die shrink means much less power so longer battery life (or smaller battery), probably less noise and thermal throttling.

ZombieRobo

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015

They both have the same specs besides g-sync. The SLI does not have G-sync. And I won't be buying the laptops right now, and most likely not till next year. Just early planning. a 1080m sounds amazing but I wonder how much that will be priced. Oh and the 970M SLI has Thunderbolt.