A Bill to Ban Headphones While Crossing Street

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peanutsrevenge

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
The funniest thing of that idiots statement is that people can't "wait" while engaged in a "wired activity". BRILLIANT.

However, I now await the deaf community suing him for insinuating they're incapable of crossing the road due to their inability to listen!

I always have my sound deadening ear buds in when walking around and crossing the road, I can look both ways and wait for a gap in the traffic before crossing.

I'm glad I'm not American if that's the direction your senators are STILL taking!

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Don't worry.. the US government will help you cross the street, teach you what light bulbs to buy, what cars to drive, what internet to surf, what tv to watch, what news to listen to, what temperature to set your thermostat, what healthcare to buy, when and where to use your cellphone/ mp3 player.. all because you cannot make such complicated decisions by yourself.
Don't worry.. Be happy!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i'm not takign out my earbuds to cross the street while jogging... simply looking all directions and waiting on the crosswalk to change if applicable is really all that is necessary.. and to this jackass State Senator Carl Kruger the old addage is look both ways before crossing the street... not look listen smell taste and touch your way across the street... Rtard

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]Nah, just the US lol[/citation]
Funny...despite my sarcasm.. last time i checked.. US citizens have the ability to drive from coast to coast,, state to state without presenting papers of identification.. and despite this current administrations quest to destroy the constitution of this great country.. they will not succeed.
America isn't great because of its location or military might.. its because of its people.. from all places on earth.. individuals from all cultures and ethniticities and religions with individual rights protected by its government.. the idea of people being able to govern themselves.. the "great experiment" not perfect.... but i do love my country.
the really "Sad" part is.. most do not appreciate it.
I need to do more of that.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]thesupermedium[/nom]This world is a sad sad place...[/citation]

Unfortunately some people are too stupid to deal with such "complex" issues, so the government makes it illegal to hopefully "assist" the stupid ones. (Because at the worst, 'they" under stand simple analogies such as good and bad.)

G

There is normally some reason for this type of stuff. I only found one statistic saying a sample of 68,000 people from the UK found that 1 in 10 had suffered some sort of injury while walking and using a device. The sentence is a little vague to me... perhaps many revolves around a stubbed toe.

The law itself was proposed in response to a 2007 incident in which two pedestrians were killed crossing the street, apparently from distraction caused by their ipods.

I was able to find all kinds of stuff related to people using phones and driving. Basically it impairs you more than a .08 blood alcohol level. I found a study called "Accident Analysis and Prevention (Vol. 39, No. 1) 2007" but it costs 42 bucks. I don't feel like spending the money to enlighten a few people who are quick to judge anyone who puts in laws they don't understand.

That said do I support it? Not sure I would need to see the studies to decide if I felt it was necessary. I already accept that I do not have the right to be propelled out of my car and must therefore wear a seat belt. Maybe I am up for this too. BTW on Army posts this is already in effect for Soldiers.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
"BTW on Army posts this is already in effect for Soldiers"
only in Uniform. Has nothing to do with personal safety. Its all about conduct.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
How about we just go all the way. Ban the police from using there computers or even having them on in their patrol cars cause they could be distracted. Lets not forget banning listening to the radio while driving cause that is a serious distraction as well.

G

cptnjarhead - Read some of the policy letters that can be found on line. The uniform comment is not correct as various locations allow wile in uniform in the gym and or other sections of post. An example of it being for safety would be Policy Letter 5-4 from Baumholder Germany. Headphones are not authorized while walking, jogging, skating... etc while on installation (this is an in or out of uniform thing). This also applies to family and civilian employees. I recall many Army posts with similar guidelines.

PS: I need to register... doesn't let me re-post otherwise :/

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]Natural selection...just let it happen. A bill to protect stupid people only feeds this type of stupidity....let them learn what common sense is the hard way.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
The problem is because pedestrians *don't care about anyone else* when they walk across the street now. People w/ no headphones at all are doing this...just walk through the crosswalk w/o looking whatsoever. I first saw this 20yrs ago in Harvard square in Boston...now it's *everywhere*...it's like they all multiplied and expect everyone to stop for you. They don't give a crap that they'll get knee damage if they get it...they'll probably happy just suing you if you didn't see them on a dark rainy night :p

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
The problem is because pedestrians *don't care about anyone else* when they walk across the street now. People w/ no headphones at all are doing this...just walk through the crosswalk w/o looking whatsoever. I first saw this 20yrs ago in Harvard square in Boston...now it's *everywhere*...it's like they all multiplied and expect everyone to stop for you. They don't give a crap that they'll get knee damage if they get it...they'll probably happy just suing you if you didn't see them on a dark rainy night :p

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
depends on the state kenyee... in florida unless you are crossing in a designated pedestrian crossing zone with a signal indicating to cross if you get hit and you survive you get to pay for any damages to the vehicle on top of the medical bills.. as it should be th eonly place this doesn't apply is parking lots where in a parkign lot pedestrians always have the right of way so as long as you don't speed through parking lots and pay attention to crosswalk signals you're fine

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
True.. locationally that applies while on base.. civilian attire or not depending on particular regulations of that facility.
I was thinking of MCUB's reference to PEDS and proper use while in uniform.
But again you are correct.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I think this is simple!
if you cross the street out of a crosswalk... the car has right of way. If you get hit, to bad for you. I CANT STAND kids who dont look, they just walk as if to say F U, you won't hit me.... well guess what?! If I have to risk my life for yours... you won't make it. sry :(

If you are in a crosswalk you have right away and shouldnt have to look or listen (but would be wise to anyhow). **pedestrian right of way needs to be inforced heavily, so they learn to go to the damn crosswalks!

Status
Not open for further replies.