A Billion Colors: HP's DreamColor Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So they have more colors than the rainbow - nice. Can they do anything about the world's ugliest bases for their displays? I had an HP 2015 - beautiful picture - had to buy a wall mount because of the horrid looking base. It looks like a footprint from bigfoot. AARGH!

avenvy

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Could you shed a little more light on the ATI card used for the demo? Is the card from ATI's consumer Radeon lineup or their professional FireGL line? What interconnect was used between the video card and monitor (DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI?) Are you aware of any Nvidia cards that support 10-bit color output? Is 10-bit color supported in Windows Vista (were they running vista for this demo?) and/or by the ATI drivers so that, assuming I have a 10-bit capable video card, display, and am using the proper interconnect, do I now get a 30-bit color option in Catalyst Control Center? Sorry for the bombardment of questions! I've recently been researching this exact topic but am still unclear on exactly what is required to get 10-bit color out of Vista (or if it is even possible).

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Most likely ATI FireGL V8600

"The second peculiarity is the support of 10-bit color instead of the standard 8-bit. This expansion of color space is used primarily in medical applications that lack gray gradients for tomography and x-ray visualizations. For these particular cases AMD offers 10-bit color representation and 1024 gray gradients instead of the standard 256."

i didn't knew it did anything for color tho.
as stated the demo that was shown was about Gray colors

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

"The second peculiarity is the support of 10-bit color instead of the standard 8-bit. This expansion of color space is used primarily in medical applications that lack gray gradients for tomography and x-ray visualizations. For these particular cases AMD offers 10-bit color representation and 1024 gray gradients instead of the standard 256."

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

G

Does anyone know what system and software is running in the photo on page 1 (with the panda)?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
wonderful monitor connected to a POS system. makes no sense to me. APPLE needs to buy the patent for this one and connected to their system :) just imagine how sweet it would be to have a 30 inch cinema display with this technology, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.