A choice between laptops

sean8564

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Hello all,

I'm finally in the market for my first laptop, due to an ever more painful rear end - I'm done with the constraints of desk chairs!
I'm a student, so have a tight budget (not much £500 preferably). The laptop will mostly be used for uni work (optimistic), however, I do dabble with gaming. Therefore a mid level graphics card is necessary. I mostly play WoW (the ever more demanding expansion packs included) - I'm not one to care for maximum settings and high detail, but I like it to run smoothly. I'm torn between two refurb laptops from PC world / Dixons, one slightly more expensive than the other. I was wondering if the extra 100 or so quid was worth it.

Also, any other suggestions as to a laptop suitable in price and needs are more than welcome. I can probably push £550 for the right laptop.

Anyway, first one I have been pondering is the ACER ASP6920G. At 459.99 from PC World (refurb) I am getting...

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2 GHz, 667 MHz, 2 MB Cache) Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium 3 GB Memory 250 GB Hard Drive Blu-ray Combo drive 16" CrystalBrite widescreen Display ATi Mobility Radeon HD3650 Graphics Card dedicated 512 mb Graphics Memory Wireless enabled

VS

ACER ASP7720G for 379.99

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 Processor (2 GHz, 667 Mhz, 2MB Cache) Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium 3GB Memory 250GB Hard disk drive Blu-Ray & Super Multi DVD drive 17" CrystalBrite display nVidia GeForce 9300M GS graphics Wireless & Wired network-ready Gloss black exterior with white interior.

I understand the 3650 is the superior card, however, is it worth the extra cash when my most demanding use will be WoW:Wotlk.

As I say, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Sean

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
You can run more that just WoW with the GeForce 9300m....so i wouldnt spend the $100 more for the ATI HD 3650 although its more powerful.

One thing i could recommend to you is if your looking to play games the better Graphics card make your laptop overall run more efficiently. What i would do is try and get something with the best G-card and a powerful prossecer.....forget about the RAM and HHD as you can always upgrade them later and it would save you money for a much more powerful system.

Check out this link they have nice gaming laptops and they are pretty strong too as i had one for 8 years and it ran well. http://www.sagernotebook.com/default.php

I also heard that Windows 7 will be out no later than June 2009...if you can wait till then and save up more till then im sure you will get something much more worth your wild....as for a good laptop its best to spend from $650 US and more if your getting it new. but check out when Windows 7 will be out you may want to wait for that and save some money and stress problems ( vista give stress)