A gaming laptop for the next 2 to 4 years, cash isn't an issue

Mazzeous

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Hey fellas

as simple as the title is, im looking for quality, performance, sound and everything else.......

i remember buying my Toshiba Qosmio G40 late 2006 early 2007, and its still working wonders. (if only i could upgrade the cpu/ video card )

at that time it was top notch/ Top of The Line and cost me 12,000 Dhs which is like 3200 dollers

Specs are:

Intel Core 2 duo T7700 @ 2.40Ghz
4Gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 512mb DDR2
Harman/Kardon speakers with subwoofer ( even louder than the new Qosmio laptops in the market )
1080P Full HD 17" with a max res of 1920 X 1200

im willing to pay top $ for something as good as this toshiba , looking for fastest processor,video card ( ati preferably), 17inch+ screen and sweet LOUD built-in speakers ( this was how i was tempted in buying the qosmio i have right now , before leaving that laptop shop the tech guy inside had some ambiant/lounge music playing on the laptop and knowing how low they usually sound after leaving the shop he pumped the volume on MAX and hearing the music while i was outside his shop made me immediatly go back and buy the laptop)(laptop speakers never sound as loud as this Qosmio ever) it was exactly what i wanted at first - crazy fast, loud, brutal- but the price was a killer and now all i say is pay up and enjoy every penny of ur investment ^_^

all i know about is the 17" alienware with the craziest specs( i know speakers were loud but haven't tested/ compared my speakers with theirs) ...... should i look at anything specific other than alienware ?

i saw asus, msi, toshiba, HP, acer...... i know there are a few gaming laptops out there but nothing comes close to alienware..... am i missing anything?

marios50

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
go with the clevo x7200 or the asus g73jh
clevo has sli enabled 480s and desktop cpus but doesnt have the looks.
on the other hand the asus has 5870m or gtx 460m the gtx460m comes with usb 3.0 and 3d support.as for the cpu it starts from i7 720 to 940xm.maximum ram supported is 16gigs.
with 3200 you can get quite a powerful g73.
check it out

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Welcome to the forums bro, i just want to correct your idea and concept about gaming laptop "i saw asus, msi, toshiba, HP, acer...... i know there are a few gaming laptops out there but nothing comes close to alienware..... am i missing anything?"
Alienware is just a very popular gaming laptop brand and dell spends millions of $ for its advertisement thats why most gamers are attracted to it and they think its unable to beat, which was quite true in early times but now a days Sager, Asus, MSI and Toshiba makes similar laptops in much less price point say 20 to 40% less than similarly specs notebook. And on the other hand Sager doesn't do their publicity really well thats why most of the games don't know even name of Sager, but they are very powerful and in price/performance ratio they are simply no 1. So you have other choices as well apart from Alienware, the one mentioned by Maziar is the best which you can in only 2000$, similar specs Dell will cost you more than 2500$. An example is this one http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dkcwbn1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=alienware-m17x, the alienware with only i5 is costing 1700$ and sager is providing i7 high end cpu for 2k$. Well decision is yours.
Regards

Mazzeous

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
thanx fellas for the fast response / ideas

Maziar,
Thanx for the link
amazing specs, badass everything except for speakers ( keeping this in mind for spec)

marios50
if only it was available in the U.A.E i'd immediatly go n check it out, after all the good n bad things i hear about it, it was on my list and had to check it out before buying it. wether it makes its way here to the U.A.E market or not i cant seem to convince myself to get 1 without having a test drive :p

raza715
i'm sorry if it sounded like i made alienware sound like the Big and Mighty laptop(ever checked their forums? lots and lots of problems), yes i know about sager and a few british/US companies that custom build laptops but in the last gitex show in Dubai alienware was owning all the laptops out there with its crazy spec and speakers too

unfortunatly MSI and ASUS wasn't in this year with their gaming laptops

guess i'll have to wait n see for now , nothing is really getting my attention

I often crack up with people's leanings towards favorite brands .... mostly because 99% of the time their favorite brand doesn't even make laptops. Alienware was mentioned but pre-Dell, Alienware's laptops were at one time built by Clevo.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM's)

Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
* Clevo sells to boutique vendors such as Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc

The major US distributors for Clevo are xoticpc and ProStar. I generally find ProStar to have the best prices.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=7
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html