A good Antivirus for my Laptop

Tek-Buzz

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hello,
I needed a good free antivirus for my Laptop, there is a free Bitdefender antivirus to download,but somehow it's start to download and stops at a fixed point and takes forever to complete, so please suggest me a good one,except for bitdefender.
Thanks!

Solution
Microsofts stuff tested out among the lowest scoring Anti virus solutions out there for outright protection. There are so many better, and free, options out there I just don't understand why anyone would stick with it.

AV-Comparatives
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

AV-Test
https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-manufacturer-results/

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
If you want paid, Bitdefender is the best choice followed by Kaspersky. For free, go with Avira. It has better detection than AVG or Avast and none of the bloatware those two have developed over the years.

Also pick up Malwarebytes. The free version has a built in trial for the pro version, but after 2 weeks it auto reverts to the free version.

Chester Rico

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Windows Defender, comes with Windows 10 (it's called Security Essentials in Win7 and below). It's free, it works, there's no ads or hidden bullshit installers.

Additionally Malwarebytes, since it reliably detects bitcoin miners and keyloggers and such.

slixxxx

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hi Tek-Buzz,

I have to agree with everyone else with Windows Defender, even though other will completely disagree! I believe Windows Defender will surve you well with the addition of Malwarebyte (Free version). Using a laptop you have to be careful with what you install security wise as the likes of Norton anti-virus can slow your laptop down to a snail (imo) !

Chester Rico

Honorable
May 15, 2013

Basically all of those 'free' options are nagware, and most have ads. Also, lowest-scoring on that 'independent' site's test doesn't mean it's bad. Just stating my opinion here, use whatever you like.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
The difference between the lowest scoring and the highest scoring software is a matter of percentage points. You're stretching things if you think one package will save you from bad behavior where another will not. If you truly need the few percentage points to feel safe, your antivirus software isn't the issue.