A Peek at Google's 'Beautiful' New Gmail UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
The old interface really doesn't matter to me the biggest reason why I prefer Gmail to Hotmail and/or Yahoo is that Gmail gives it's users IMAP/POP3 access to their e-mail so that I don't ever have to be bothered with these web ugly/slow web interfaces.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]The old interface really doesn't matter to me the biggest reason why I prefer Gmail to Hotmail and/or Yahoo is that Gmail gives it's users IMAP/POP3 access to their e-mail so that I don't ever have to be bothered with these web ugly/slow web interfaces.[/citation]
Hotmail does too. As for Yahoo, the last time I checked, you need to pay for POP3

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I don't like Gmail because it's weird... labels and conversations instead of folders, it just doesn't click with how I like to organize messages... so I don't use it except as a throwaway account.

laur3ooo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]Hotmail does too. As for Yahoo, the last time I checked, you need to pay for POP3[/citation]
Last time i checked Hotmail only did pop. If it also does imap i would have cared 5 months ago, now i'm just lazy and only use webmail and google reader (for rss).

G

killerchick, “labels” are essentially folders - with the ability to add multiple labels to a message or conversation it’s a pretty cool tool. And, one can turn conversations off for a more traditional look to the interface.

G

I hate that black bar at the top. It's distracting and ugly.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]I hate that black bar at the top. It's distracting and ugly.[/citation]
the black bar is at the top of tomshardware too. I hope you complained about that also.

G

The new format requires significantly MORE vertical scrolling than the old one. How exactly is this an improvement?

G

the new ui stinks. can't even read the screen. light gray on white? are they nuts? thank god you can skin gmail. too bad you can't skin gcal.

G

So, in the world of just living and you don't google, you are really googled. Nice upgrade. Clean looking. Kind of on the light side, like less is more. Where's the more? OK, so everyone else has to catch up before we can move on to something that is actually really better and doesn't just look different.

G

Don't buy a google phone. I never use gmail, it is too much trouble, I use yahoo. In 7 months of having the HTC G2 phone, I have had my account disabled twice for no reason. Since they don't tell you why the account has been disabled, it is a nightmare to get the account reopened. Until that time, all your contacts, pictures, anything is not accessable on the phone. Google could care less. New format? Who cares. In 10 plus years of yahoo, I have never had a problem. With google, I have had nothing butproblems. Do not buy a google phone.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]laur3ooo[/nom]Last time i checked Hotmail only did pop. If it also does imap i would have cared 5 months ago, now i'm just lazy and only use webmail and google reader (for rss).[/citation]
The poster mentioned POP3/IMAP, hence my reply about Hotmail. Yes, it only supports POP3 and it is my personal preference over IMAP.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
ok, so a UI wastes more space, and is harder to differentiate objects because it looks like white on white... and this is a good thing? And what is with the black bar over a white page? Really? It sticks out like a sore thumb. Toms can get away from it because we know they don't know better, and it blends with the rest of the header, but google? shame on you, and leave my old ui alone. I welcome new innovation, but wasting space and making things hard to look at is not good.

G

[citation][nom]jamoise[/nom]the black bar is at the top of tomshardware too. I hope you complained about that also.[/citation]
Actually it is not, its only on the Toms Guide pages, and it isnt nearly as annoying as it is on top of the blue banner, and is cut into by the banner.

The new google bar on the other hand bugged me so much I just switched to bing.

Status
Not open for further replies.