A Premium Ultrabook without Nosecam that Isn't a MacBook Air?

dillybravo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Looking for an ultrabook. Don't love the Apple premium, though I've been using MacBook Airs provided by employers for the last decade or so.

Love the slim bezels of the XPS and MateBook X Pro. But I do a lot of video-conferencing and can't abide the webcam positioning (and don't want to carry an external one).

Checked out the Asus UX331 series, but the fit and finish and keyboard aren't there for me.

At this point I'm likely to go for the new MacBook Air but figured I'd see if there's something missing.

Could also delay purchase a month or two if there's something coming down the pike..

1. What is your budget?
Ideally <$1500 but I could go up to $2K.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Both size and weight are top considerations for me.
Under 12.5" physical width, so likely a 13.3" or less screen. Ideally ~12.0" width.
Ideally under 2.5 lbs., 3 lbs. max.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Roughly equivalent to MBA, which they say is "10h" of web browsing..

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Web browsing. Powerpoint. Lots of writing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Could probably live with 128 GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years plus? I'm flexible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not required.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm brand agnostic aside from what I said in intro.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada. Visit US regularly so could possibly purchase there.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
See intro at top.

vincentneo

Great
Dec 25, 2018
How about a lenovo yoga 730 or HP spectre x360?

I personally am a MacBook user, and have never used those two before, but do take a look. They looked pretty promising, at least online.