A price glitch at checkout on Dell.com results in a canceled order & then a better config i7567?

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I was pretty excited about getting a decent deal on an Inspiron 15 7000 7567 on Dells online store for $661.49 (including shipping w/ tax &all available promotions to get the price that low) on 1/31/2018. That excitement was short lived, as the order got canceled and I was pretty irritated over not getting it shipped out so I could game over the weekend. Basically what happened was some glitch in the system didn't apply tax to my order at checkout, so in theory it should have cost $716.28 with the tax applied. I actually submitted the order at that price and payed and got an order verification immediately after saying a conformation would follow. Well the system noticed the error straight away and cancelled my order. I called the next day to see what happened and after 2 hours on the phone I was told why it was cancelled. Needless to say that didn't sit well with me and after arguing with two supervisors they said they would not honor that price I paid at checkout. Its not that I cared paying the sales tax, but I felt that the price at check out should be honored and include the sales tax into the intial price paid, so I would still get the laptop at $661.49.

So I stewed over this all day and sent a very polite carpet bomb email to every Dell exec I could find an email address for. Well, needless to say, that did produce the desired results. I got an email the very next morning from Dells executive administration branch offering to honor the price I thought I paid for. Not only did I get the price honored, I also got an upgraded configuration with a 256GB SSD and the GTX 1050ti GPU instead of the 1TB HDD and GTX 1050 GPU in the config I selected it also included overnight shipping....for free. I was more then pleased with that resolution; I just wanted to share my little consumer shopping experience. Most notably that, if you take your problem high enough, it does net your desired outcome. Even after I was told by two sales supervisors (one being the head of sales branch), that there was "no way" they could honor the price I paid at check out; which is what bothered me the most in this entire chain of events. As if no one in the entire company not even Micheal Dell can do anything to honor a $50 website error? So hopefully I will have this new laptop on Tuesday (2/6/2018) and can get back to gaming.

My original order verification is here & then my new order confirmation is here (personal and other sensitive info omitted). Alas, if anyone else is looking to save some $$, as of this posting, most of the current discounts and promotions run until the end of the week and if you really are on a tight budget you can get a Dell gift card off one of the numerous gift card re-sellers and save another $20-50. So you could still theoretically get the same model (base config) laptop for a sub $700 price point. We all work hard for our $$, so we may as well save as much as possible while in the process of spending it.

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jtimm00 : "My recent online purchase of a Inspiron 15 7567 was.... well interesting to say the least.....thanks Dell"

I was pretty excited about getting a decent deal on an Inspiron 15 7000 7567 on Dells online store for $661.49 (including shipping w/ tax &all available promotions to get the price that low) on 1/31/2018. That excitement was short lived, as the order got canceled and I was pretty irritated over not getting it shipped out so I could game over the weekend. Basically what happened was some glitch in the system didn't apply tax to my order at checkout, so in theory it should have cost $716.28 with the tax applied. I actually submitted the order at that price and payed and got an order verification immediately after saying a conformation would follow. Well the system noticed the error straight away and cancelled my order. I called the next day to see what happened and after 2 hours on the phone I was told why it was cancelled. Needless to say that didn't sit well with me and after arguing with two supervisors they said they would not honor that price I paid at checkout. Its not that I cared paying the sales tax, but I felt that the price at check out should be honored and include the sales tax into the intial price paid, so I would still get the laptop at $661.49.

So I stewed over this all day and sent a very polite carpet bomb email to every Dell exec I could find an email address for (up to & including Jeremy Burton, CFO, not including M. Dell, CEO.....ballsy, I know). Well, needless to say, that did produce the desired results. I got an email the very next morning from Dells executive administration branch offering to honor the price I thought I paid for. Not only did I get the price honored, I also got an upgraded configuration with a 256GB SSD and the GTX 1050ti GPU instead of the 1TB HDD and GTX 1050 GPU in the config I selected it also included overnight shipping....for free. I was more then pleased with that resolution; I just wanted to share my little consumer shopping experience. Most notably that, if you take your problem high enough, it does net your desired outcome. Even after I was told by two sales supervisors (one being the head of sales branch), that there was "no way" they could honor the price I paid at check out; which is what bothered me the most in this entire chain of events. As if no one in the entire company not even Micheal Dell can do anything to honor a $50 website error? So hopefully I will have this new laptop on today (2/6/2018) and can get back to gaming.

My original order verification is here & then my new order confirmation is here (personal and other sensitive info omitted). Alas, if anyone else is looking to save some $$, as of this posting, most of the current discounts and promotions run until the end of the week. Consequently if you really are on a tight budget & a very thrifty shopper, you can get a Dell gift card on reddits GCX or off one of the numerous gift card re-sellers and save another $20-$40. Add in Dells 3% cash back online and go through ebates to get even more cash back you end up saving another $30-$40. So you could still theoretically get the same model (base config) laptop for a sub $700 price point, possibly even sub $600 if you are savvy with your online shopping and maximize your savings. We all work hard for our $$, so we may as well save as much as possible while in the process of spending it.

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Understood, my mistake, I was trying to move it to another thread and couldn't delete the first one. I didn't see anything in the rules of conduct about cross-posting; I should have asked first though. As a mod can you delete one of them (the one dated 2/5/2018)? Thanks in advance, as I know ignorance to the rules isn't an excuse.