A Quarter Of TV Sales are 50 Inches And Larger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
My 55" LED TV is due to Black Friday economics. They turn math on its head if you're willing to stand in the cold for hours on end.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I've set a price limit for myself. $1000. That being said I'm patiently waiting for the 44-46" LED crowd to dip back into that zone so I can replace my aging 40" 720p set, which will be relocated down into the garage.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Of all the possible web sites where I could have bought a TV, I wound up getting a 52in. Sharp backlit led TV from Dell last July 4th that was on sale for one day only for $1,024.00. The TV sold out long before the day was over. When I think of Dell I don't think of TV's. Go figure.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've been very happy with a 47" LG LED I bought eighteen months ago. I got it half off through an open box sale -- with a Samsung Blu Ray player for free. S-IPS screen, LED local dimming, and some extensive control settings make the TV an even better value. I walked out of the store with a car load of hotness for $999. Unfortunately, it looks like TV technology is going to stall out for a little while. With the emphasis on 3D it may be difficult to get higher quality sets that aren't requiring goofy glasses or compromise on quality. I just don't have the lust for newer TVs. I don't think there's anything worth upgrading to at the moment. And I don't have room for more than one tv anyway.

G

I just recently got a 55" LG LED at Walmart for $1150, it was a display unit. $1225 with 3 year full replacement warranty for anything wrong with it. I say i got a good deal.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]I've been very happy with a 47" LG LED I bought eighteen months ago. I got it half off through an open box sale -- with a Samsung Blu Ray player for free. S-IPS screen, LED local dimming, and some extensive control settings make the TV an even better value. I walked out of the store with a car load of hotness for $999. Unfortunately, it looks like TV technology is going to stall out for a little while. With the emphasis on 3D it may be difficult to get higher quality sets that aren't requiring goofy glasses or compromise on quality. I just don't have the lust for newer TVs. I don't think there's anything worth upgrading to at the moment. And I don't have room for more than one tv anyway.[/citation]

3d doesn't mean must be 3d all the time, they mean they are 3d ready.

my dads friend has one eye and got a 3d tv because of all the other specks and didn't give a damn about the 3d collapsibility.

and quality wise, consumer tvs are 2000$ and under, the real quality starts generally and the 2000$+ range

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]lol, everyone here is talking about LEDs, makes my LCD seem ancient somehow...[/citation]

LED isn't a new type of tv, it's just the new backlighting for lcd's...

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
LEDs look like shit. I love my 42" 1080p LCD. I have my computer and both of my consoles hooked up to it and it stays beautiful.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Same here, we got a Black friday deal... 50" plasma for under $500, new in box. It's hard to pass that kind of deal up.[/citation]

You lucky bastard. Only reason I didn't go plasma was the price ): Is it 1080p with HDMI inputs?

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Heh, I have a 46" Bravia that has just a great picture but, sadly, I never watch it. Ever since the history channel has become the 24/7 UFO, 2012, Logging/swamp hick channel (with Discovery not being far behind) and with animal planet considering ghosts to be animals, I've just stopped watching the vast majority of television. No amount of added dimensions, since increase or improved pixel count is going to fix that problem. I tried expanding my package to include NatGeo, Science and HI but those channels are starting to get more and more reality TV and ghost hunter programming too now... About the only TV I watch nowadays is about 15 minutes worth on my 19" CRT in my bedroom right before I go to sleep.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I honestly can understand this trend... The wide screen aspect we've moved to pretty much requires a larger screen (Personally, I prefer a minimum of 20") for comfortable viewing at a distance... And of course, in America, bigger is better!

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Heh, I have a 46" Bravia that has just a great picture but, sadly, I never watch it. Ever since the history channel has become the 24/7 UFO, 2012, Logging/swamp hick channel (with Discovery not being far behind) and with animal planet considering ghosts to be animals, I've just stopped watching the vast majority of television. No amount of added dimensions, since increase or improved pixel count is going to fix that problem. I tried expanding my package to include NatGeo, Science and HI but those channels are starting to get more and more reality TV and ghost hunter programming too now... About the only TV I watch nowadays is about 15 minutes worth on my 19" CRT in my bedroom right before I go to sleep.[/citation]
+1
I am fine with my 22" PC screen who can act as TV if needed so. If they don't get quad HD or super HD, I really don't feel like getting a bigger screen even if at the same price point. Mirror like resolution and refresh rate are what I wish of any type of screen, from hand held to wall sized.

Status
Not open for further replies.