About AVR for PC

Ashenone

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Hey there. I have an old Amp, Stereo intergrated amp Aiwa MX-Z6600M (an AVR maybe because it has tuner, tape, phono, DSP options). It only has analog input through RCA (red/white Jacks), dont have optical input 1/ I wanna know does it have a DAC built in since it does not have optical input. 2/ if i use a standalone DAC like schiit modiuber. setting like Optical output from PC => modi => RCA to AMP=> speaker. does schiit is the one decode digital signal from PC? and if so, does it make a mess if my amp have a DAC built in?
Another Question why my amp is Stereo intergrate amp, it has options for 3 satellies speaker, 1 sub. When i plugged 3 small one and 2 big one to amp, set amp with surround option (it has that option). Only 2 big speaker work, the other dont (can't hear or see the woofer move)
Sorry for my english, it sucks.

Solution
Can't find any info on the Aiwa online so here is my guess.
1. Because the Aiwa has DSP there are DACs built in but if there is a direct/bypass/pure mode that would bypass them. Might only be stereo then.
2. An outboard DAC like the Schiit would work best if connected with USB to your PC. That would bypass the audio of the mobo or soundcard. If you did use the Aiwa in the direct mode in stereo then you would benefit from the much superior outboard DAC. If you used it with the DSP you would then be reconverting the analog output of the DAC to digital, and again back to analog in the Aiwa. Not sure you would gain anything with the DAC in that case.
3. Use it in stereo. The surround sound will suck anyway.
Can't find any info on the Aiwa online so here is my guess.
1. Because the Aiwa has DSP there are DACs built in but if there is a direct/bypass/pure mode that would bypass them. Might only be stereo then.
2. An outboard DAC like the Schiit would work best if connected with USB to your PC. That would bypass the audio of the mobo or soundcard. If you did use the Aiwa in the direct mode in stereo then you would benefit from the much superior outboard DAC. If you used it with the DSP you would then be reconverting the analog output of the DAC to digital, and again back to analog in the Aiwa. Not sure you would gain anything with the DAC in that case.
3. Use it in stereo. The surround sound will suck anyway.

Solution

Ashenone

Prominent
May 25, 2017

I have no idea what about DSP is, as you said in (1), does that mean DSP is some kind of analog signal decoder that convert stereo analog signal to surround analog signal, am i right?
Thanks you for your input, (2)&(3) really make sense.