About Unix safety

sam1275tom

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Hello guys.
I've used windows for 20 years and I begin to try *unix these days, and I have a question now:
Many people says unix is very secure because virus won't affect system without root access, but in FreeBSD I have to use root or su to use the PKG tool for installing, so what will happen if the package contain a virus? Isn't it too easy to infect a OS without antivirus?
Thank you.

Solution
Any operating system has vulnerabilities and can thus be be hacked and infected.

Unix may provide more inherent security safeguards via code design and structure. Also by following "best practices" and security standards that reduce or eliminate vulnerabilities.

Lots of discussions on the internet about such things: Microsoft vs Apple vs Linux vs Unix and so on.

(Note: No intention to denigrate any given OS. All are tools and have valid purposes.)

The issue is more a matter of ROI, "Return on Investment".

Scammers and hackers need to somehow be able to benefit from what they do, that is a ROI of some sort.

If there is no benefit to the scammers/hackers, beyond just being destructive perhaps, then they will not bother with...

sam1275tom

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014

Thank you.
But I know this already... Just like windows, a AV will surely protect you from virus, but many says Unix do not need a AV because of high security, how?

Any operating system has vulnerabilities and can thus be be hacked and infected.

Unix may provide more inherent security safeguards via code design and structure. Also by following "best practices" and security standards that reduce or eliminate vulnerabilities.

Lots of discussions on the internet about such things: Microsoft vs Apple vs Linux vs Unix and so on.

(Note: No intention to denigrate any given OS. All are tools and have valid purposes.)

The issue is more a matter of ROI, "Return on Investment".

Scammers and hackers need to somehow be able to benefit from what they do, that is a ROI of some sort.

If there is no benefit to the scammers/hackers, beyond just being destructive perhaps, then they will not bother with Operating Systems that may not offer some strong possibility of a ROI.

But if Unix is being used and if a vulnerabilty exists there is a pretty good chance that someone will write virus code to exploit that vulnerability.

If you have a house, with windows and doors, people can try to and will break in. Strengthening windows and doors, limiting windows and doors can reduce the vulnerabilities. But the house can still be vulnerable to entry by any number of ways. If entry provides some ROI then the house will be broken into.

Solution