AC adapter currently connected is not supported?

Douglas Botello

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hello! I recently ran into a problem with my Alienware 14 where the battery indicator says "plugged in, not charging". This has been happening for about a week, and it's kind of a real bummer. I also get the message "AC adapter currently connected is not supported" when I plug in the AC adapter, and when I first boot up the computer, I get a warning message that says something along the lines of "150w AC adapter not detected" before Windows starts to boot. I did the dell recommended procedure of powering off my computer and removing the battery, holding down the power button for 30 seconds, then putting the battery back in and turning the computer back on, which didn't do anything.

Finally I called Dell tech support, who made my update my bios and my chipsets, but that didn't do anything either. The guy told me that this has been happening to other Dell computers that have upgraded to Windows 10, and that he didn't have a solution for me. So for my question, would you recommend I downgrade to Windows 7/8 or should I just request a new A/C adapter? (I'm still under warranty) I figure since the warning messages appear before Windows even starts that it wouldn't be windows' fault that the AC adapter isn't working, but I could very well be wrong. Plus I'd rather not go through a wipe and install of windows if I don't have to.

If laptop is still functioning as it should, this could be just a reporting thing. Meaning is charging, even though it says it isn't. If this is the case you really have 2 options: Put up with the annoyance, or downgrade, until Dell comes up with a fix.

Douglas Botello

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Well the computer has been noticeably slower since that all started happening, plus my computer won't switch over to its dedicated graphics, and I keep getting this annoying periodic stutter every minute or so where the computer freezes up for a second. I can't necessarily guarantee that all of these things are a direct result of my A/C adapter problem, though.