Acer Aspire 5530G screen upgrade

j0ndafr3ak

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Hi guys,
I can't afford a new laptop and I don't really need to get a new one because I'll use it just for programming (Code::Blocks and Eclipse). It's a Turion X2 ZM 80 ultra processor 2.1 Ghz with 4 gigs of ram.
However the screen resolution is really bugging me. It's a WXGA screen (1280x800) and it gets really frustrating when I place 2 windows side by side.
I noticed that WSXGA screens (1680x1050) are cheap (can find them for less than 100 euros) but, as expected, there are no officially supported screens at that resolution.

Now, according to my research, there are a few things to keep in mind when replacing a laptop screen:

Mounting points
Size
Type of cable connection.

The first 2 can be easily checked, but the last one is not.

I was having a look at some screens, compatible with more recent acer laptops. In the case, would the type of connection be the same? How can I check if it is? Would the screen draw more power? Has anyone ever done anything like this?

j0ndafr3ak

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
ok here's what i've found.

this is my laptop's screen model (the glossy one) https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Acer/ASPIRE~5530G-704G25BN/

I would like to replace it with this (matte) one https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Acer/TRAVELMATE~6593~SERIES/

backlight and video signal connector are the same. there seems to be no difference except for the resolution...

would this work? the video card is Ati Radeon Mobility hd3650 512mb. it supports 1080p resolution on the hdmi port. i think it would support a 1050p resolution wouldnt it?

j0ndafr3ak

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012

Unfortunately, that is not an option. I'll be using it at university, so no external monitor when I'm in class..

j0ndafr3ak

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
well, I have taken mine apart 5 or 6 times to clean it (I even removed the cpu once to check whether it was soldered or not - and it isn't). I'm pretty familiar with it. I guess it's only about taking the risk...
It shouldn't be a problem as long as connectors and screen size are the same (the graphics card must support the new resolution of course). I just need to find at least one person who successfully upgraded their laptop screen just to confirm that what i'm trying to achieve can be done..

j0ndafr3ak

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Ok, I was able to get my hands on a used wuxga screen. it works well, the resolution (1920x1200) seems fine to me (characters are not too small for my eyes) there's one thing though and it probably depends on the LCD inverter. only 1 vertical line of pixels every 2 works. the other non working line of pixels is completely white, making the screen look pale. only a half of the pixels display the correct image alternately. the other half displays white pixels. the screen is perfectly working, so I guess it's because of the inverter incompatibility. I managed to buy a used one compatible with my screen (I compared the part number to those supported). i'll let you know.

j0ndafr3ak

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Hi thanks for the reply. You know, when I was mounting the new screen last night, I noticed the connector that plugs into the screen has more or less half the pins as the cable width. I've already bought the inverter, receiving it next week. If the problem isn't solved, I'll look for a compatible cable.

I noticed I may have needed a different cable, but overlooked the matter. I'll look into it, see if I can find anything useful. These parts seem hard to find

Edit: I almost forgot. The screen model is LG Philips LP154WU1

j0ndafr3ak

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Well, the pc perfectly works. Replacing the screen was easier than I thought. And yes, I was aware it might not properly work right away. If the inverter solves the problem, I'll only have spent 60 euros, otherwise I'll get the cable... how much could it ever cost?

I'm pretty satisfied with the results and the amount of money spent. And I'm gaining experience in something not everyone does so...