Acer aspire 5534 hard drive failure

Lnicodemus

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I have an acer aspire 5534 that will not load windows. It boots up to the Acer screen and then says windows is loading files and stops there. I have tried to book from the restore disk but no go. It seems like I need a new hard drive. Is that correct? How difficult is it to install?

Thanks so much door your help.

G

I think I would try to reinstall Windows. The fact that it says Windows is loading suggests that the hard drive is at least functioning. More likely Windows is corrupted.

Possibly this was caused by a hard drive problem -- in which case installing a hard drive is relatively simple. If you can find a hatch covering the drive remove it and replace with one of a similar capacity and type. If you want to take the opportunity to upgrade to a larger drive best to consult Acer on max size before buying.

Lnicodemus

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I think I would try to reinstall Windows. The fact that it says Windows is loading suggests that the hard drive is at least functioning. More likely Windows is corrupted.

Possibly this was caused by a hard drive problem -- in which case installing a hard drive is relatively simple. If you can find a hatch covering the drive remove it and replace with one of a similar capacity and type. If you want to take the opportunity to upgrade to a larger drive best to consult Acer on max size before buying.

I am now able to begin to boot from a boot disk. Windows begins to load, but then the dialogue box that asks if i want to do a complete or partial restore are inoperable and only exit is highlighted. Is this the hard drive?