Acer Aspire 7551, black screen after boot

evtrados

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Hello everyone.

Today I tried to boot my laptop (Acer Aspire 7551), but there was no display at all on the screen. It is pitch black as if the laptop was shut down. I can hear the fan working and the power light is on. However, the other two lights (wifi and hdd) are off. I do not believe it's an HDD problem though, because in that case the Acer logo would at least be displayed.
I tried many things after reading a lot of posts from other users that had experiencing the same problems, but no solution worked for me:
1. I removed the battery and power plug, pressed the power button for approximately 60sec...Nothing changed
2. Waited for the battery to drain out...nothing changed
3. Used an external monitor, but no display there, as well
4. Created a crisis disk in order to reinstall/update BIOS,

In case you have any other tips, I would be really grateful.

Thank you in advance.

evtrados

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

Hi C12Friedman, thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried without the battery in.
One thing that I forgot to mention (that might or might not be of significance) is that since some months ago I have these windows warnings that I should consider replacing my battery etc. Because the battery is old, if the laptop is not plugged in, even a small movement of the laptop might cause a shut down. This has happened several (but not many) times.
Now, yesterday I shut it down normally, but before completion (while it was displaying "Windows is shutting down") I accidentally pulled out the power plug and the laptop shut itself down. I don't know whether it was a normal shut down or if it was caused by the battery.
I don't know if that can hold as a reason for a black screen, though..

VVac0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for a few min? Note: some laptops needs hours or d even days to fully reset the BIOS without any power source. Also, some laptops don't even turn on without the CMOS battery or if the battery is dead.
Usually this helps reset the BIOS and might bring your laptop back to life.

Not to mention all kinds of funky behaviors if it does decide to run at all.

If you decide to get into the laptop to access the CMOS battery (YouTube, iFixit, and Laptop-repair.org are helpful for that) look over the motherboard for swollen or leaky capacitors (might as well) also any unusual discolorations of the motherboard. I'm kinda thinking your battery (the main one) is dead though