Acer Aspire audio jack problem?

maraya21

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
Hello,
I went to use the audio jack on my Acer Aspire with my headphones but for some reason i can only hear sound on one side. The side which gets audio keeps changing as i move the cable in and out of the jack.

I tested my headphones and they work fine on my phone & tablet.

So does this mean that the audio jack is somehow broken? Is there a way to check without actually taking apart the laptop?

Could something just be loose or something similar?

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5735z

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yes there is an issue with the jack, and no you can't check it or fix it without taking apart the laptop even is something is loose. You can buy an external USB sound card if you want, but that will just be sticking out of the laptop all the time and be prone to getting ripped off if you are not careful.
Yes there is an issue with the jack, and no you can't check it or fix it without taking apart the laptop even is something is loose. You can buy an external USB sound card if you want, but that will just be sticking out of the laptop all the time and be prone to getting ripped off if you are not careful.

Solution

Rdslw

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
This happens when you forcefully bend jack (like dragging laptop on headphones). hard to say how to help as physical damage is mostly unique. I remember sticking some paper with jack to make it a tighter fit (IT really helped) :) taking out the jack is same as replacing power input, sometimes even worse.

Worry not:
google "usb headset with microphone" :) will replace jack ones just fine.

if you want to check jack port try phone earbuds, speakers if you have any. Anything with 3.5 or 2.5 jack should work.

maraya21

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

I see.. No, an external sound card isn't an option as i move the laptop a lot and it will get ripped off. I had just hopped there might be something else i could do..
*sigh
I guess I have to take it apart then. Thank you anyway! :)

Not sure how it happened. I haven't used the jacks in a while. It might just be old age failure.
Well putting paper in might not be a good idea with my laptop as it is old and will most probably catch on fire or something.
Huh, replacing the power input in my laptop might have been easier than replacing the audio jack..
Will check that out, thanks! :)