Solved! Acer Aspire black screen

Jun 25, 2019
Hi guys,
I have an Acer Aspire laptop wih Windows 10 and am having an issue where the screen is black when I boot it up. There is no logo, cursor or anything really. It stays booted up for about 5 or 10 minutes before shutting down again. It is an old laptop, maybe 5 years old. The battery is completely dead so I removed it and just keep the laptop plugged into the charger constantly. Can't really afford a new laptop so I'm hoping to fix the problem myself since I need a laptop until I have the money for a new one. Any ideas on what I could do to fix the problem, even temporarily?

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try...
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution
Jun 26, 2019
Possibly infected with a Virus. I experienced this on old laptops, a simple reformat and reprogramming fixed the issue. Also, I automated Win10 Defender to update and remove all encountered virus/es. Laptop worked flawlessly after the reprogram, until eventually it got infected again. I just redid the entire thing.

TRENDING THREADS