Solved! Acer Aspire no display at all.

matt.dyck.music

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
My Acer Aspire 5750z laptop was not charging the battery, so I took it apart and re-soldered the connections on the power jack (which I could see had physically broken loose). When I put it all back together and powered it on, the screen did not turn on at all and I can not get a signal through hdmi either. It powers on fine and actually charges the battery now, but this doesn't matter if I can't see anything anyway. This laptop has the video card integrated into the motherboard, so I'm hoping I won't have to replace that. Anyway, any ideas for what it could be or is it most likely the motherboard? Also, if it is that, would it typically be cheaper to replace that or get a tech to repair it?

Solution
Depends on the device on if you can more easily replace it yourself or not. First try the following.

Try reopening up the laptop and make sure nothing was knocked loose. Even a slightly loose cable can make this happen.

Then try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the...
Depends on the device on if you can more easily replace it yourself or not. First try the following.

Try reopening up the laptop and make sure nothing was knocked loose. Even a slightly loose cable can make this happen.

Then try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution

matt.dyck.music

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks for the help. Yeah, I tried those and still got nothing. I have a feeling it is in fact the graphics card. If I do decide to replace it, I'll report back on how it goes. I might just buy another used laptop instead though.