Acer Aspire one battery will not fully charge

Grampsatwork

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
My battery will not charge to 100%
I have had this unit for about 6 months. I use it on battery almost daily. Just in the last few days the battery stopped charging all the way. The battery only charges to about 50%. I have the 9 cell long life battery. I understand that batteries get old but at just 6 months this happened all at once.
any insite on how to get back to a full charge would be appreciated

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
li-Ion batteries have a bad habit: whenever fully depleted, they lose a few cells, to the extent that they might not be able to hold a full charge if enough cells are damaged. In other words, repeatedly using a laptop (or any other Li-Ion powered device) to battery depletion can shorten the battery's life significantly. You might want to keep the batteries fully charged whenever possible and avoid fully depleting them too often.
There is also the habit of "re-setting" the batteries by using the "fully deplete-fully charge" procedure. It only applies to niMH or NiCD batteries ( and is used to erase the "memory effect") but is damaging to Li-Ion batteries for the reason mentioned above. Unfortunately, not a lot of people know that and they start doing this tho their cellphone's batteries and to other devices that use li-Ion.

xoxohottigher12xoxo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
well i justgot a new laptop acer aspire opne battery for my mini acerlaptop so i charged it used it battery died charged it for a while didnt know it was fully charged then... i ised it for a few minutes then it shut off oin me i litterly just got it yesterday wat shud i do plz resond bak to me or email me at : alliewoebbeking@hotmail.com ps it cant charged now the charger works wen i try to turn it on all it does is show a blue light then goesa away

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

You probably got a lemon, a remanufactured one, or simply a knock-of.
Your best bet is to RMA it.

Grampsatwork

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

Not being able to charge at all is a known issue with some acer products. The fix is to update the bios. You can find the bios files and how to update on the acer web site.

elzey24

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Acer knows that their Aspire Laptops have battery failures and they still sell them without fixing the problem. The only resolution is to spend your own money shipping the Laptop back to them and wait two weeks to get it back. They know there are problems and they elected to keep shipping faulty product because it's cheaper than fixing it. Acer believes it's cheaper because most people don't understand PC's. DO NOT BUY ACER LAPTOPS!!!