Acer Aspire One - plug in headphones can't mute sound on notebook

betsysnow

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
When I plug in my headphones in the jack on the Acer Aspire One notebook I cannot mute the speakers on my notebook. So I have sound coming out of my notebook that annoys people around me. Can anyone help me?

Solution
Strange issue. Try updating the sound card drivers and the software via Acer's support site and see if that corrects the issue (their support site address can be found in a thread at the top of the forum). If that doesn't do it, get in touch with acer support, as it could be a hardware issue that needs to be fixed.
Strange issue. Try updating the sound card drivers and the software via Acer's support site and see if that corrects the issue (their support site address can be found in a thread at the top of the forum). If that doesn't do it, get in touch with acer support, as it could be a hardware issue that needs to be fixed.

Solution
G

I have the same problem with that laptop. It's a faulty contact. I've noticed that if I apply pressure to one of the sides of the connector, the speakers go mute after a couple of seconds and the sound only comes out of the headphones. If I let go of the pressure, speakers come back on.
I tried to bend the contacts inside the jack towards the center.. no luck.