Solved! Acer Aspire R13 not shutting down, black screen

Kimi__

Prominent
May 1, 2017
My laptop was working fine until it got hung up on a program. I tried to restart the laptop by holding down the power button, and it did shut down, but when I pressed it on again I heard the fan turn on, but the screen was still black.

Usually my keyboard lights up as well when the PC starts, but it didn't this time. None of the lights are on. I tested the lights by connecting the charger (which is definitely working) but the charging light wouldn't come on either. I connected it to an external monitor, no use.

I let it be, and it's been half an hour now and the fan is still running. I don't have a removable battery, and I don't think there are any 'hidden' reset buttons.

Can anyone help out?

Solution
Actually almost all batteries are removable, however how easily they can be removed is a whole other story. They have decided to make things more complicated for people to do. :(

Try letting it run out of power completely and then charge it up. Try to start it then and it may resolve the issue itself. However, should that not fix it, then ....

If the laptop is under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer about a repair/replacement.

If it is not under warranty any longer, then it is going to need to have the graphics card/GPU looked at and possibly replaced. It may even need the motherboard replaced.
Actually almost all batteries are removable, however how easily they can be removed is a whole other story. They have decided to make things more complicated for people to do. :(

Try letting it run out of power completely and then charge it up. Try to start it then and it may resolve the issue itself. However, should that not fix it, then ....

If the laptop is under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer about a repair/replacement.

If it is not under warranty any longer, then it is going to need to have the graphics card/GPU looked at and possibly replaced. It may even need the motherboard replaced.

Solution

Kimi__

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I'll try to let it run dry, but the battery lasts for hours, and it might take a day to run out (it's still running). I have warranty, so I guess I'll give the shop a call..
What I don't understand is how can both the screen and the lights (HDD/battery charging, keyboard light) fail. Most other questions at least mention that those are on.

Kimi__

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Good lord, the fan is still running (12hrs now). Will this be damaging the hardware by any chance? It feels macabre, watching something die this slowly.

Kimi__

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Finally, the battery drained out and the fan stopped. I plugged in the charger, and thankfully it started charging, and auto turned on almost immediately.
Thanks for the help anyways. That was a very odd thing for my laptop to do, hopefully it won't happen again.