Question Acer aspire v3-571 keyboard not working after replacement

Apr 10, 2022
Hi There,
I will include some background to the issue. A customer approaches me with a battery and keyboard issue on their Acer aspire v3-571.
The battery issue was caused by a faulty dc jack and a dead battery that was resolved (By replacing both parts). The customer said that they couldn't type on the keyboard at all and couldn't log in. Here are the troubleshooting steps I took:
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard drivers
  • Power cycled the laptop
  • Attempted to boot into the bios - I was unable to do this
  • Cleaned the keyboard
  • Removed the keyboard and checked the ribbon and connections ( All appeared fine) Re inserted the ribbon (To rule out a loose connection).
After this I decided that maybe the keyboard itself was the fault and I installed a replacement keyboard.
However after installing the new keyboard, only half of the keyboard works ( H is the cut off and all keys to the right of it do not work.)
I then repeated all of the troubleshooting steps above and I am still unable to get the keyboard to work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, I am tearing my hair out!

mike_coreit

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
For only half the keys to be working on a new keyboard sounds like an issue with the connector. It might look ok but there could be a soldering issue somewhere. Have you tested with an external keyboard?