Acer Laptop/Windows 10 turns off when plugged in

Footyslayer

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hi all,

my friend has had an issue with his laptop. I am trying to fix it but need some advice. It is an Acer laptop but I don't have the model number handy. It is brand new and only a month old.

He had windows 10 upgraded onto the laptop as it was running windows 8, now it seems a bit sluggish but not only that whenever the laptop is on and he needs to charge it he plugs the power cord in but the laptop beeps and then shuts itself off.

He took it back to the store and they said it's a windows 10 issue and apparently Acer know about it and are developing an update. I am not convinced by that as I cannot find anything on the internet,

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Well if the issue is that you don't trust what the store is saying, and you have good reason not to since they are only interested in your friend not returning the laptop or having to fix it, I would contact Acer support directly. Query them about the problem. It's possible there is something to do with their implementation of ACPI that conflicts with the Windows 10 ACPI driver. Or maybe it's a battery optimizer utility or something like that. It could even require a BIOS / UEFI update to resolve.

Have you looked at Acer's website for Windows 10 drivers and BIOS updates? If so, have they been installed?

das_stig

Distinguished
If it is ok with W8, then it probably is a W10 ACPI driver not working right and you'll have to wait for a update or revert to W8.

The latest Intel or AMD chipset driver depending on what you have, should fix this rather than wait for Acer.

Footyslayer

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hi, thanks for the response. I will check this information when I get a bit more info from my friend. Once he brings it to me agin I will check the website for updates.

The store also said Microsoft release windows 10 whilst in test phase and wasn't fully ready to be released. I know this is false as the beta wasn't ever released fully.

Benman

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Don't ask me how and why but this did it for me after i cleaned it, redid thermal paste, checked RAM, checked GPU and CPU temperatures, bought a new adapter, removed battery, etc. :pfff:
Just watch this Youtube-video and you might be astonished. :pt1cable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkShReHut3U

My Acer Aspire 8930 has not shut down suddenly anymore after i 'disabled both CPU's in Device Manager'.

Badger_259

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Hi FootySlayer,

Sorry I know this is a few months after your original post.
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having exactly the same problem - again with an Acer laptop, fine when I got it on windows 8, but now on windows 10 and it goes dead when plugged in.
If you were able to resolve this, I'd b grateful if you could impart your wisdom to me :-D

Thanks,

Footyslayer

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Hi,

In the BIOS I had to change the touchpad setting. Change the touchpad from advanced to basic, worked for me :)

Baubla

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

I had a problem like this with on old Compaq Presario V6000 laptop that I upgraded to windows 10. I finally fixed it by going into advanced power options and in the battery settings disabling hibernate or sleep mode when plugged in and battery is on critical charge level I just set it to "do nothing". As it turned out because the battery was old and unable to charge it was constantly causing windows 10 to shut down into hibernation mode. As the Laptop you were talking about is relatively new this may not be the case but I'd go through the advanced power options anyway and disable as moch as you can to do with hibernating, sleepmode and shutting down!

dario.cvsa

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
I had the same problem with a Acer Aspire 6920... I fixed with de Benman's post.

Don't ask me how and why but this did it for me after i cleaned it, redid thermal paste, checked RAM, checked GPU and CPU temperatures, bought a new adapter, removed battery, etc. :pfff:
Just watch this Youtube-video and you might be astonished. :pt1cable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkShReHut3U

My Acer Aspire 8930 has not shut down suddenly anymore after i 'disabled both CPU's in Device Manager'.

I disabled both CPU's in Device Manager.. Everything works great