Acer Nitro 5 Black Screen, Keyboard lights are on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2018
I purchased a Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop 3 weeks ago. In the middle of surfing the net it froze without warning, though I had only turned it on for half an hour. Being a dummy at tech, I tried removing the battery and putting it back again (this worked for my previous laptop), hoping the screen would unfreeze. After doing this, when I turn on the laptop the keyboard lights up and the fans on the bottom spin for a few seconds, then stop. The keyboard remains lit and the screen is constantly black. Plugging and unplugging the charging cord produces a single ‘beep’ sound. Holding down the power button for 20 seconds and turning it on again gives no result. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this? Thank you.

Solution
If it is brand new and doing this, contact the manufacturer. No new device should give you such problems.

Now if you bought it used, and it has no warranty, then you may want to try the following...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as...
If it is brand new and doing this, contact the manufacturer. No new device should give you such problems.

Now if you bought it used, and it has no warranty, then you may want to try the following...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution
Jul 19, 2018

Jul 19, 2018
Oh man, I am facing the same thing!! Best part, I only brought it yesterday. Everything you described is exactly the same. Surfing the net then suddenly freeze. Force shut down, keyboard light up for 2 seconds and goes off again. 3 seconds later keyboard light up again, but screen remain black. Plug and unplug give the beep sound too.

Jul 23, 2018
now im scared, because i just received my Nitro 5 exactly a week ago today and im using this as i type this, and it seems that there are quite a lot of users having this problem, hope you get a fix soon

Aug 6, 2018
same thing happen to me. this work for me.

1. Disconnect all external peripherals and the AC adapter from the notebook.

2. Switch off the notebook and press the battery reset pinhole at the bottom of the notebook (Simulates removal of battery) for 10 sec.

3. Plug in your AC adapter.

4. Power on the notebook again.

Status
Not open for further replies.