Question Acer Nitro AN517-52 No Boot

May 16, 2022
Windows 11
X2 500GB SSD
8GB X2 RAM

We used this laptop occasionally for Gaming and mostly for schooling for a little less then a year now and it has worked well the whole time until now...

We plugged it in, pushed the power button, the screen lit up for about 2-3 seconds and then nothing it turned off... The fans didn't turn on, nothing showed on the screen and turning it back on just keeps doing the same thing.... There are x2 lights, the battery light that is blue (or orange when charging) and the power light that is blue when you push power. It's not showing charging when plugged in it's just blue.

I took off the back and tried booting it with one RAM at a time, I tried removing the 2 SSD, I tried booting it with the battery disconnected, I tried holding the power button down for 1min with the battery and plug disconnected... Waiting 30mins and then plugging things back in...

I am not sure what else to do... Or what this issue could be... $1200 for a laptop that barely made it to 2 years is a lot of money to lose for us.... Any help would be appreciated

May 16, 2022
https://ibb.co/6wjC1sR

So I found this on the motherboard... I am going to assume the obvious and guess that this is the issue.... Is this repairable or should I not even waste time with a repair shop... If it is not repairable.... What do you do with a $1200 laptop that dies before it reaches 2 years old...

https://ibb.co/6wjC1sR

So I found this on the motherboard... I am going to assume the obvious and guess that this is the issue.... Is this repairable or should I not even waste time with a repair shop... If it is not repairable.... What do you do with a $1200 laptop that dies before it reaches 2 years old...

Well, many things are fixable, the question is if the cost and effort are worth it vs just replacing the motherboard. Someone would need to check how the damage was to the board vs the surface connections and that chip and if they can replace the chip.

Issues like this is why I avoid expensive laptops, they still only have a one year warranty for the most part, and many parts are almost worth as much as the laptop after a couple of years to replace, and they are in general way less reliable than desktop systems due to heat issues, component density and the fact they are moved around.

See how much a motherboard for your model is vs buying a full working used unit.

May 16, 2022
Well I am starting to remember why I didn't buy another laptop after the first 2 I bought many years ago... I guess I just subconsciously imagined that in an era of high powered phones and tablets... That a Gaming Laptop would be a quality purchase but I guess it was a huge waste of money... Every repair shop I call says that if a chip is bad they just replace the board... The board is like $600 and I am not putting that much more money into a laptop that could have another issue like this... If this was a desktop I could fix it for a fraction of the price myself....

Well I am starting to remember why I didn't buy another laptop after the first 2 I bought many years ago... I guess I just subconsciously imagined that in an era of high powered phones and tablets... That a Gaming Laptop would be a quality purchase but I guess it was a huge waste of money... Every repair shop I call says that if a chip is bad they just replace the board... The board is like $600 and I am not putting that much more money into a laptop that could have another issue like this... If this was a desktop I could fix it for a fraction of the price myself....

The risk of laptop damage out of warranty is why I buy used laptops only. I'd rather pay $400 for a used gaming laptop that I know has lasted a few years and then if that dies in a few years, I'm only out that smaller amount. Even with a warranty repair, it can take a long time, can be denied for "user damage", can be sent back "fixed" but still have the same issue, and you are spending months just sending the thing back and forth. A gaming laptop may be one of the few times that purchasing an extended warranty for one would be worth it, assuming that the company stays in business that does the warranty and actually accepts the work.