Solved! Acer Predator Helios 300 Won't Power on. (Really need help!)

Oct 25, 2018
Alright, so I've had my acer Predator helios 300 for about a year now, and I had been using normally, for college work, I decided to launch a game and about after 20 seconds of loading, the laptop powered off and now shows no signs of life whatsoever. The charging and power LEDs do not light up when the cable is plugged in. The. The laptop does not power on. The fans do not spin up momentarily. And there has been no indication that the laptop has even attempted to power on.

So, here's what I've tried to fix it:
- I've opened it up and tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery
- I've individually unplugged each component from the motherboard to try and see if it was an issue with some component causing a short like the touch pad or USB ports.
- I've tested the voltage on my charging cable and it read ok with 19 volts.
- I tested the charging cord where it connects to the motherboard and it also read 19 volts.
- I tested every location on the motherboard I could think of from the location where the charging port connects and they all read 19 volts.
- I tested the battery and found that it wasn't reading the 17 volts it was rated for but rather it read 0.4 volts. So I bought a brand new battery but it read the exact same volts. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the board should be able to power on to some extent without the battery as long as it's plugged in.

I'm ust at a bit of a loss and I could really use some help because I already sent my laptop in beforehand to Acer under warranty, but they refused to service my laptop because of some minor physical damage to the outer case. And I refuse to pay the outrageous fee of $600 they wanted to charge to fix it.

Solution
The heatsink is okay. I meant do a visual on all the semiconductor parts - and sounds like there is no visible damage. I just can't think of anything, if I had to guess I would think there is something wrong with the motherboard - since you checked the input power is good and there is just no indication of the mobo powering up at all. The only people who can tell for sure would be the test/production facility for Acer helios.

I would perhaps weigh the cost of obtaining a new motherboard vs new laptop vs service cost
Oct 25, 2018

As far as I can tell, the board has no thermal damage, although the black metal on the heat sink does appear to be a little darker around all the areas where a white foam pad is underneath it.

engineer5261

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
The heatsink is okay. I meant do a visual on all the semiconductor parts - and sounds like there is no visible damage. I just can't think of anything, if I had to guess I would think there is something wrong with the motherboard - since you checked the input power is good and there is just no indication of the mobo powering up at all. The only people who can tell for sure would be the test/production facility for Acer helios.

I would perhaps weigh the cost of obtaining a new motherboard vs new laptop vs service cost

Solution
Oct 25, 2018

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I was hoping there might be something I hadn't tried yet but I suppose not. And any issue concerning the motherboard that has to do with the shorts of individual chips or capacitors is beyond my knowledge. I guess I'll have to think about getting it replaced. It's just a shame to see a $1000 laptop go to waste.

Jun 23, 2018

Have u tried battery reset?there is a reset button hole on bottom middle of laptop,This will reset it.