Acer v15 Nitro 20+ C difference between core temps

Nickbmhs

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I have recently purchased Acer V15 Nitro VN7-592G, I am using it for video editing and rendering.

i7-6700HQ
GeForce GTX 960M GeForce GTX 960M
8GB DDR4

CPU was overheating to high 90’s C and would sometimes hit 97. After a while I have decided to repaste the CPU and GPU as I got too worried about stressing the package so much. An hour or so of fiddling and old paste was gone and new Arctic Silver 5 was applied. My only concern was that CPU area was way smaller than the heatsink, original paste was smudged all over the heatsink and on the CPU. I applied paste on the CPU only, guessing that the remainder of the heatsink would stay clean and cause no issues.

Few stress tests in and a rendered video the temperatures went down:

Idle – 30/34C
Load – 80/90C
Room Temp – 24C

At this point I have discovered another issue or so it seems. Differences between core temperatures are substantial during load. Idling they are all at 30C to 34C. At load though it is a different story:

Core 0 – 90C
Core 1 – 73C
Core 2 – 89C
Core 3 – 66C
Package – 90C

That just looks bizarre. 90C and 66C that is 24C difference. Should I reapply the CPU paste and put it on the heatsink as well? Wait more for paste to settle? Any ideas, thoughts or comments?

Solution
How long has it been since you applied the new paste? If it is only a day or so then yes you might want to wait. However if it has been longer, then you may wish to check it and either add more/smooth out better or reapply it. And I would apply it to the heatsink also.

If that doesn't help, then you will need to consider replacing the fan(s) and or adding other cooling option.
How long has it been since you applied the new paste? If it is only a day or so then yes you might want to wait. However if it has been longer, then you may wish to check it and either add more/smooth out better or reapply it. And I would apply it to the heatsink also.

If that doesn't help, then you will need to consider replacing the fan(s) and or adding other cooling option.

Solution